Bookmark and Share
25/02/2002

Search for missing Castlederg teenager continues

The search for missing Castlederg teenager Brendan Rushe (15) has now been continuing for a full week, with still no trace of the boy.

Over 120 people are involved in the search for Brendan who disappeared in the early hours of Monday morning after visiting a nightclub in Donegal town and Gardai have been trying to piece together his movements ever since.

It is known that Brendan spoke with two Gardai at around 4am on Monday, who found him "Courteous" and he told them he was going to get a bus home – which he did not take. There are no definite sightings of him after this but the proprietor of a local guesthouse was woken at 6am by a boy answering Brendan's description. The door was not answered and the boy headed off in the direction of Donegal town.

Gardai have appealed for a motorist who may have seen Brendan running along the Donegal town quay at around 6.30am to contact them.

A pair of shoes, which were originally thought to belong to Brendan, were ruled out of the enquiry last week.

Two companies of British soldiers from the Parachute and the Prince of Wales' Own regiments, along with two British Army helicopters, are combing the Northern side of the border while hundreds residents of Brendan's home town assist Gardai in searching bogland and rural areas outside Donegal town.

The search is expected to continue until at least Wednesday,

Brendan Rushe is 5' 8" tall, with slim build, dark brown, short hair, brown eyes and has braces on his teeth. He was wearing a cream shirt, grey trousers and black shoes and had a black jumper with him.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Garda at Donegal Town on: 00353 73 21021, or the PSNI incident room in Castlederg on: 028 7137 9835.

(GB)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

22 February 2002
Search for missing schoolboy enters fifth day
The search for missing Castlederg teenager Brendan Rushe (15) has entered its fifth day, with still no trace of the boy. An additional 100 Garda from nearby counties have been drafted in to help comb an ever-widening area, but the search is being hampered by atrocious weather.
21 February 2002
Cross-border search for missing boy intensifies
The search for missing Castlederg schoolboy Brendan Rushe (15), who disappeared after visiting a nightclub in Donegal town, has been intensified, with two companies of British soldiers and hundreds of local people now involved.
27 February 2002
Body of Brendan Rushe found in Donegal Bay
The search for missing 15-year-old Castlederg teenager Brendan Rushe has ended with the discovery of his body in Donegal Bay. The body was pulled from the water at around 11am on Wednesday February 27 and taken to Letterkenny General hospital for post mortem examination, where it was identified by a member of the Rushe family.
20 February 2002
Fears for missing boy grow as shoes are found
The family of missing Castlederg teenager Brendan Rushe have identified as his a pair of shoes found by the roadside five miles outside Donegal town. The 15-year-old Tyrone schoolboy has not been seen since leaving the nightclub of the Abbey Hotel, Donegal town, in the early hours of Monday morning.
23 November 2016
Planned Search Of Elderly Woman's Home Was Justified - Ombudsman
A planned search at the home of an elderly lady was justifiable, according to the Police Ombudsman. The search was part of a major anti-drugs operation in Co Tyrone earlier this year. The woman said she was shocked and upset when a police search team turned up at her house and told her they were searching for drugs.
28 July 2011
Ford Should 'Resist Calls For Lillis Release'
The DUP East Londonderry MP Gregory Campbell has urged the Justice Minister David Ford (pictured) to "resist political pressure" from those calling for the release of Brendan Lillis - who has received Sinn Fein backing at high level. "Brendan Lillis is a terrorist and a criminal who was responsible for a number of serious crimes.
07 October 2009
Waiting Game At Newry Bomb Alert
An Army bomb disposal team is continuing to examine a suspicious vehicle parked near the courthouse in Newry. The area around the court, in New Street, was cordoned off by the security forces late on Tuesday evening and the Army bomb team was requested by police.
18 July 2008
Belfast Taxi Fare Increases: Costs Still Lower Than UK
While public taxi fares in Belfast are due to rise next month, the costs are still lower than other comparable cities in the UK. The Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) confirmed there would be an increase of between 13% and 19% depending on the time of travel. This increase will come into operation on 1 August 2008.
02 August 2006
Voting underway in County Down by-election
Voting in the by-election for Newry and Mourne council has today got underway in County Down. There are two candidates competing for the seat, which became available after the resignation of Sinn Fein councillor Brendan Lewis, who stepped down six weeks ago.
13 May 2005
IT firm to create 45 jobs in £3.3m expansion project
A leading Belfast-based IT firm is set to create 45 new jobs as part of a £3.3 million expansion project. Kainos said it would be recruiting business consultants, software engineers and project managers along with positions for graduates as part of its 12 month plan which is being helped by a £494,000 grant from government-funded Invest NI.
03 November 2008
Four Die On Irish Roads
Two people have been killed in weekend accidents in Northern Ireland, as well as two in the Irish Republic. A 20-year-old man has died in hospital from injuries he received in a traffic accident on the Hilltown Road in Newry on Thursday, 23 October. He was named yesterday as Daniel David McCormack from Castlewellan.
08 November 2016
Limavady Town Centre Improvement Works Funding Announced
Funding of more than £740,000 has been announced for improvement works in Limavady town centre. Announced by Communities Minister Paul Givan, the funding will deliver public realm upgrades along Connell Street and Irish Green Street and a revitalisation scheme for Market Street.
29 September 2016
Police Officers Disciplined For The Way They Dealt With Two Teenagers
Three police officers have been disciplined for the way they dealt with two teenagers during a stop and search in Ballyclare, Co Antrim, in March this year. The boys lodged a complaint with the Police Ombudsman's Office, alleging that police had no justifiable reason for conducting a stop and search and had treated them oppressively.
20 September 2016
Number Of Items Recovered In Connection With £280k Cannabis Find
A number of items have been recovered by police in connection with a £280,000 cannabis find in August this year. The items were seized during the search of a property in the Antrim Road area in north Belfast on Monday, 19 September.
19 September 2016
New Arlene Arkinson Search Ends
A new search operation launched by police investigating the disappearance of Arlene Arkinson has ended with "nothing suspicious" found. Police had cordoned off an area near Killen, outside Castlederg, last Thursday. The area is close to where Arlene was last seen alive with convicted child killer and rapist Robert Howard.