Bookmark and Share
16/01/2002

Red Hand Defenders to disband following UFF order

The Red Hand Defenders is set to disband as a result of a direct order from the Ulster Defence Association leadership.

In a statement on Tuesday January 15, the UDA/Ulster Freedom Fighters said it “unreservedly” condemned the death threats issued by the Red Hand Defenders, against Catholic schoolteachers and postal workers last weekend and that it was ordering the Red Hand Defenders to stand down within 14 days.

In response to this order, a statement was issued to the BBC on Wednesday morning under the Red Hand Defenders name, detailing the order to its members. It said: “From midnight tonight [Wednesday] the Red Hand Defenders will stand down as the UFF ordered.”

However, the Red Hand Defenders is widely acknowledged as being a cover name used by elements of the UDA.

Initially the Red Hand Defenders claimed responsibility for the murder of 20-year-old postman Danny McColgan last Saturday morning. However, the East Antrim UDA brigade later admitted that it was responsible for his murder.

SDLP assembly member for west Belfast Alex Attwood said he would be treating the Red Hand Defenders statement with caution. He said: “They are trying to cover their tracks and distance themselves from what is happening because everybody knows the UFF, the UDA, the Red Hand Defenders are the one and the same group of people whatever name they call themselves. Given that it is the same people, this does not change anything and people will treat their claims with caution.”

Meanwhile postmen and women have voted to return to work, starting from midnight on Wednesday. The move to return was taken at a lunchtime meeting between staff and union representatives who recommended they go back to work. (AMcE)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

20 March 2017
PSNI Announce New Opening Hours At Local Police Stations
The PSNI has announced new opening hours at a number of police stations in Northern Ireland. Police said "advances in technology" have made it possible for them to deliver new ways of reporting crime, filling out official forms and engaging with officers.
15 March 2017
Drop In Number Of People Claiming Unemployment Benefits
The number of people claiming unemployment benefits in Northern Ireland has dropped. The total now stands at 31,600, a fall of 300 in February, according to the latest figures. Employee jobs also increased over the quarter to December 2016 by 0.2%. Manufacturing output also rose in the last quarter of 2016, a rise of 4.
01 March 2017
Other News In Brief
Woman Convicted Of Benefit Fraud A woman has been convicted for claiming benefits she was not entitled to at Newry Magistrates' Court. Pauline Marron claimed Income Support totalling £9,637 while failing to declare employment. She was given a Conditional Discharge for 12 months.
23 March 2017
Two People Escape Injury After Light Aircraft Crash
Two people have escaped injury after a light aircraft incident in Co Down. Emergency services were alerted to an airfield in Newtownards at around 11.15am on Thursday, 23 March. A spokesperson from the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service (NIAS) said: "One Rapid Response Vehicle and one A&E crew attended.
23 February 2017
Other News In Brief
Man Convicted Of Benefit Fraud A man has been convicted for claiming benefits he was not entitled to at Craigavon Magistrates' Court. Neil Doran claimed Income Support totalling £2,077 while failing to declare employment. He was given 150 hours Community Service.
22 February 2017
Five People Charged Over Arson Attacks On PSNI Officers Homes
Five people have been charged in connection with a number of arson attacks on police officers homes between April and July last year. The incidents happened in the Banbridge, Portadown and Gilford areas. A number of homes and vehicles were attacked, however no one was injured.
31 July 2001
Youth festival targeted in North Belfast pipe bombing
Two pipe bombs have been thrown at a crowd of young people attending a community festival in North Belfast. The attack, carried out late on Monday 30 July, came as the Golden Thread theatre on the Crumlin Road was packed with people attending a festival play.
27 July 2007
Parades restricted in Downpatrick
A loyalist parade has been banned from entering the predominantly nationalist town of Downpatrick in County Down. The proposed march on 6th August 2007 by the Red Hand Defenders has had conditions imposed by the Parades Commission this morning.
07 June 2007
Cummings murder inquest begins
An inquest at Belfast Coroners Court into the shooting dead of a 19-year-old Catholic man in Antrim in July 2001 has heard that rival loyalist paramilitaries may have been involved. Ciaran Cummings, 19, was shot twice with a sawn off shotgun as he waited for a lift at the Greystone Road roundabout.
20 May 2003
Loyalist paramilitary group claim bomb attack
Loyalist paramilitary group, the Red Hand Defenders have admitted planting a bomb outside the offices of Republican Sinn Fein in west Belfast yesterday. The device was found by a member of staff as they opened the premises on the Falls Road yesterday morning.
22 July 2002
Loyalist paramilitary group claim murder of Catholic
The Red Hand Defenders have claimed that they murdered a Catholic man in north Belfast on Sunday night. The man, who has been named as 19-year-old Gerard Lawlor, was shot as he walked alone on Flora Road in the north of the city.
12 December 2001
Stobie murder claimed by Red Hand Defenders
Former loyalist police agent William Stobie, who had been recently been acquitted of charges brought against him over the murder of solicitor Pat Finucane, has been shot dead in north Belfast. The Red Hand Defenders, a cover name which has been used in the past for the UDA and UFF, has claimed responsibility for his murder.
04 December 2001
Drugs link not discounted in north Belfast murder
The Red Hand Defenders have claimed that they were behind the shooting of man in north Belfast on Monday evening. The 34-year-old man, named as Francis Mulholland, was attacked as he sat in a car on the Upper Crumlin Road at around 8pm on Monday December 3.
03 December 2001
Man questioned in relation to Rosemary Nelson’s murder
Officers investigating the murder of Lurgan solicitor Rosemary Nelson have arrested a man in County Armagh. The 41-year-old man was taken from his home in Portadown for questioning about serious terrorist offences on Monday December 3. Rosemary Nelson, a Catholic mother-of-three, died in a booby-trap car bomb near her home on 15 March 1999.
06 September 2001
Children greeted with whistles on fourth day of school siege
The fourth day of the loyalist siege of Holy Cross Girl’s Primary School has passed off relatively peacefully.