Bookmark and Share
07/09/2010

'Loyalist Splinter Group' Bombed School

An alleged loyalist splinter group is being blamed for the pipe bomb which was left at an Antrim primary school yesterday.

Speaking to UTV, Justice Minister David Ford said that a loyalist splinter group, allegedly calling themselves the 'Real UFF' "appeared" to be behind the security alerts at both St Comgalls Primary School and St Joseph's Primary School yesterday.

Police have said that they do not know who left the pipe bomb at St Comgalls or whether the school had been deliberately targeted.

The pupils from St Comgalls PS on the Ballymena Road were moved to a nearby church yesterday morning, after eight-year-old pupil Brendan Shannon lifted what police confirmed as a "viable device" and brought it into a classroom.

Nothing was found during the alert at St Josephs and both alerts have now ended.

The alerts have been condemned by both the police and politicians. PSNI Chief Inspector Simon Walls, said that the attack was "beyond despicable" and that it was only "sheer good fortune" that a child had not been injured.

DUP MP for South Antrim William McCrea said the alerts were "obscene" and utterly disgraceful", while Sinn Fein MLA for South Antrim Mitchel McLaughlin said that those responsible "should hang their heads in shame".

He added: "They have placed our children in a very vulnerable and dangerous position."

(KMcA/GK)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

17 November 2016
PSNI Officers To Use Body Worn Video Cameras
Police officers in Northern Ireland are to use Body Worn Video cameras while on duty. A pilot scheme was successfully introduced in the Foyle area and is part of a £1.5million investment by the Department of Justice. Chief Superintendent Chris Noble said: "Video evidence puts the victims of crime first.
17 November 2016
Gun And Ammunition Found In South Belfast
Police have launched an investigation after a gun and ammunition were recovered during a search in south Belfast. The discovery was made in the Annadale Crescent area on Wednesday, 16 November. The items have been taken away for forensic examination. Police are appealing for anyone with information to contact them.
22 January 2013
Heavy Snow Closes Over 80 Schools
Over 80 schools across Northern Ireland have been closed as the heavy snow continues to cause disruption on Tuesday morning. The Met Office has issued a yellow weather warning, as the snow is continuing to affect many roads. Areas which have been majorly disrupted include Lisburn, Castlereagh and Carryduff.
05 April 2017
Police Renew Search For Gerard Conway In Cookstown
Detectives investigating the disappearance of Gerard Conway in 2007 have begun a search at an address in Cookstown. The search at Battery Road in Ardboe is being undertaken following new information from the investigation team. Detective Chief Inspector Gareth Talbot, said: "As part of the search operation we have deployed specialist resources.
20 April 2017
Other News In Brief
Man Injured In North Belfast Assault Police in Belfast have appealed for information after a man was badly beaten by a gang of masked men armed with metal rods. It is understood that the 29-year-old victim suffered serious injuries when he was attacked in the Forster Street area of north Belfast on Wednesday, 19 April.
10 April 2017
Appeal Issued For Missing 15-Year-Old Boy
Police have launched an appeal to help trace a missing 15-year-old boy. Darren Braxton was last seen in Carrickfergus on Tuesday, 04 April. He is described as around 5ft 11inches with dark hair. When last seen he was wearing a red baseball cap, blue tracksuit top and carrying a black holdall.
03 April 2017
Man Killed In Belfast Altercation Named
A 31-year-old man who died following an altercation in Belfast city centre has been named as Paul McCready from north Belfast. The incident happened in the Donegal Street area just before 1am on Sunday, 02 April. He died from his injuries in hospital. A 30-year-old man has been arrested and is in police custody.
31 March 2017
Major Gas Leak In Co Antrim
A number of homes had to be evacuated following a major gas leak in Co Antrim. The incident happened in the Stiles Way area at around 10pm on Thursday, 30 March. The Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) attended the scene and local residents were advised to stay indoors and keep all their windows and doors closed.
12 April 2017
Victim Of Fatal Road Collision In Co Antrim Named
The victim of a fatal road crash in Crumlin, Co Antrim, has been named as Emmanuel Caddell, police have confirmed. Mr Caddell, 22, died following the two-vehicle collision involving a car and a lorry on Monday, 10 April. The incident happened on the Manse Road at around 10.50am. Police are appealing for witnesses to contact them.
25 April 2017
Man Charged Over Co Antrim Arson Attack
A man has been charged in connection with an arson attack in Larne, Co Antrim. A car was burnt out and caused significant damage to the front of a house in the Killyglen Road area on Sunday, 23 April.
06 April 2017
Woman Dies In Co Antrim Road Crash
A woman has died in a car collision in Co Antrim. The single-vehicle crash happened on the Finvoy Road in Ballymoney in the early hours of Thursday morning, 06 April. The road has been closed between the junctions of Lislagan Road and Burnquarter Road with limited access to the Drumlee road.
01 February 2005
Child's play as Queen's medical students return to school
An innovative child health programme, which enables trainee doctors from Queen's University to teach basic healthcare to primary school children, has been launched today.
18 July 2011
Final Roll Call For Two Primary Schools
Two Co Antrim primary schools are to close because of falling rolls. The Sinn Fein Education Minister, John O'Dowd, has approved a proposal to close Lourdes Primary School, Whitehead: "I have agreed to the closure [because of] a decline in enrolments in recent years [that] has given rise to concern.
09 November 2001
Residents resume school protest in Ardoyne
Protestant residents in the Glenbryn area of north Belfast have resumed their protest outside the Holy Cross Primary School in Ardoyne on Friday afternoon.
25 June 2012
Schools' Spending Program Unveiled
Eighteen schools across Northern Ireland will get new facilities as part of a £173m spending plan, the education minister has announced. John O'Dowd announced the spend, the first for major projects since August 2010 when capital spending was frozen. The minister admitted: "The need for investment far exceeds the funding available.