Bookmark and Share
18/07/2011

Archaeological Exhibition Showcases Dunluce

A new exhibition at Co Antrim's Dunluce Castle is showcasing its history - as well as many of the archaeological finds discovered there in recent years.

Dunluce Castle, which is managed by the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA), is a key visitor destination on the Causeway Coastal Route. It is one of the premier tourist attractions in Northern Ireland, attracting over 80,000 visitors per year – many from overseas.

Stormont Environment Minister Alex Attwood and Tourism Minister Arlene Foster has opened the new exhibition and associated interpretation were co-funded by NIEA and the Northern Ireland Tourist Board under the Tourist Development Scheme.

Tourism Minister Arlene Foster said: "This fascinating exhibition brings the history of this impressive castle to life. Tourists from all over the world are captivated by the stunning scenery of the north coast and now they will have even more reason to find out more about the area’s history and culture. It will also give domestic tourists the opportunity to find out more about their local surroundings.

"Investing in our tourism infrastructure and promoting our unique attractions will further boost our tourism industry, which will bring economic benefits to the whole of Northern Ireland."

Speaking at the launch Minister Attwood said: "Dunluce has a fantastic story to tell, full of intrigue, plotting and rebellion. This new exhibition makes the turbulent history of the Castle accessible to everyone and shows what daily life would have been like for those living here in the early 1600s.

"It also displays some of the superb finds from the archaeological excavations carried out in the Lost Town of Dunluce over the last three summers.

"Just last month archeologists unveiled new discoveries from the town, including the footings of several stone and wooden houses, a beautifully preserved roadway, jewellery and pottery. We hope to have some of these archeological gems on display here soon.

"I am hoping to make progress in acquiring the lands that make up the lost village of Dunluce and explore / exhaust potential heritage and other funding to open up this little piece of Pompeii on the Antrim coastline," he said.

The History Room at the exhibition uses video and a number of information panels to tell the fascinating history of the Castle particularly the rivalry and treachery between local families MacQuillans and MacDonnells and the English crown.

An Archaeology Room shows how archaeological excavation can inform people about the history of their local area. It also demonstrates the work of NIEA in recording and interpreting the Castle and the built heritage of Northern Ireland.

New interpretation panels and video display screens have been installed to illustrate the Castle's history and how it would have looked when occupied in the early 1600’s.

Digital handsets containing an audio tour of the Castle will also bring the past alive for visitors including the many families who visit the site.

Encouraging people to visit the exhibition, Minister Attwood said: "The fascinating information provided in the new exhibition is based on the latest research and uses modern technology to unfold the story of the Castle and those who lived there.

"Even if you have visited the Castle many times before, the new exhibition makes it well worth another visit and an ideal destination for those visiting Northern Ireland."

(GK/BMcC)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

22 September 2016
Pedestrian Hit By Bus In Belfast
A pedestrian has been hit by a bus in Belfast city centre. The collision happened on Royal Avenue just before 9am on Thursday morning, 22 September. The road was closed however it has since been re-opened. A spokesperson from the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service said the woman sustained a leg injury and has been taken to hospital.
22 September 2016
Sickness Within NI Civil Service Continues To Increase
Sickness levels within the Northern Ireland Civil Service have increased in the last year. Civil servants took an average of 11.7 days each off during the 12 months up to April compared to 10.8 days the previous year, according to a report by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA). The figure is above the annual target of 8.
26 September 2016
Man Charged Over £1.2m Drugs Seizure
A 28-year-old man is to appear in court today, 26 September, after police seized drugs worth £1.2million in Belfast. A large quantity of cocaine, heroin and herbal cannabis were discovered after police stopped a car on the West Bank Road on Friday, 23 September.
16 September 2016
280 New Jobs For NI Under New DWP Contract
Two hundred and eighty new jobs are to be created in Northern Ireland under a contract to deliver services to claimants on behalf of the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). Communities Minister Paul Givan has announced that his department has secured the new contract to service claimants in Britain.
23 September 2016
Families Launch Legal Attempt Over Troubles Inquests
Relatives of over 30 people killed during the Troubles in Northern Ireland have launched a legal attempt to release £10 million funding to hold inquests into their deaths. The Northern Ireland Office (NIO) and the executive at Stormont have 14 days to release the funds.
23 September 2016
Other News In Brief
Woman Convicted Of Benefit Fraud A woman has been convicted for claiming benefits she was not entitled to at Ballymena Crown Court. Leanda Scullion claimed Income Support and Housing Benefit totalling £45,408 while failing to declare she was living with a partner. She was given a nine-month prison sentence, suspended for two years.
14 September 2016
Accountancy Firm To Create Over 40 New Jobs In Belfast
An accountancy firm has announced it is to create over 40 new jobs in Belfast over the next three years. BDO Northern Ireland said the new posts will provide professional services to a range of blue chip and FTSE 500 clients within the BDO International network. First Minister Arlene Foster welcomed the announcement.
21 September 2016
Metaswitch To Create Over 90 New Jobs In Belfast
Metaswitch is to create over 90 new jobs in Belfast at its new Centre of Excellence. The firm designs and develops cloud-native communications software for telecommunications software providers. Economy Minister Simon Hamilton welcomed the announcement.
08 September 2016
Lagan Homes (NI) To Build New Houses In East Belfast
Lagan Homes (NI) is to build a residential development, worth an estimated £120 million, in east Belfast. Millmount Village is a 90 acre site that will provide up to 700 new homes supporting the need for the development of more houses in Greater Belfast and across Northern Ireland. The project is to employ 100 people over the next 10 years.
06 September 2016
New £45m Ticketing System For Public Transport Introduced
A new £45 million ticketing system which aims to increase the number of people using public transport in Northern Ireland has been announced. Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard said the system will deliver long term benefits.
02 May 2013
Galgorm Castle Creates Over 60 Jobs
Enterprise Minister, Arlene Foster, has welcomed the announcement of an £8 million investment at Galgorm Castle Estates which will create over 60 full-and part-time jobs in Ballymena, at an event in Ballymena's Braid Centre.
23 February 2006
UCF launch National Clean Air Awards for NI
The Ulster Cancer Foundation (UCF) has today launched the National Clean Air Awards for Northern Ireland, in partnership with the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation. Established by the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation, the UK-wide scheme recognises and rewards employers who have implemented effective smoke-free policies.
10 July 2012
Living History At Dunluce Castle
Throughout the summer visitors to one of the Antrim Coast's most iconic landmarks are being treated to a glimpse of life in medieval times.
07 August 2013
180 NI Jobs To Go At M&S
Over 180 jobs in Mallusk, County Antrim are at risk, following the news that Marks & Spencer is to restructure its distribution warehouses. The Hyde Park centre is to be closed as a result of the company's plans to centralise its 110 small warehouses to three large centres in Bradford, Castle Donnington and London Gateway in Essex.
31 October 2011
Higgins Voted Ireland's Ninth President
After weeks of campaigning and debates Michael D Higgins has been named as the ninth president of Ireland. The official results came in on Saturday afternoon at Dublin Castle national count centre.