17/02/2012

Victims Of La Mon Bomb Slam Police Report

A police report into the IRA bomb, which went off at dinner dance in La Mon and claimed the lives of 12 people and left many injured, has been slammed by victims and their families.

Survivors of the attack said they were angry that a Historical Enquiries Team (HET) review of the original investigation offered little new information and raised fresh questions over how key evidence had apparently disappeared.

It is understood that the survivors claim interviews with IRA members, original papers from up to 100 detectives and notes about a warning call and a car used by the bombers could not be found.

The victims of the bomb attack and their families argue that a blind eye is effectively being turned to IRA attacks of the past to avoid unsettling the peace process.

(LB/GK)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

12 August 2013
Castlederg Parade Passes Peacefully
An IRA memorial parade through Castlederg in County Tyrone on Sunday has passed off without major incident. The Tyrone Volunteers Day Parade was in memory of Seamus Harvey and Gerard McGlynn: two IRA men who were killed 40 years ago when a bomb they were carrying accidentally exploded.
15 July 2008
Apology Over 'False IRA Bomb Claims'
Northern Ireland Security Minister, Paul Goggins, has issued a formal apology over false claims made almost 40 years ago, relating to a bomb attack in Belfast. Fifteen people, including two children and three women, were killed when a bomb exploded in McGurk's bar in north Belfast, in 1971.
03 February 2003
Continuity IRA blamed for TA bomb attack
Dissident republicans have been blamed for the bomb attack of a Territorial Army base in south Belfast at the weekend. The explosion in the proximity of a TA centre at Haywood Avenue, Belfast, left a large hole in the base's perimeter fence at around 7.30pm on Sunday.
19 April 2002
Continuity IRA claim responsibility for Garnerville bomb attack
Dissident republican group the Continuity IRA has admitted to the bomb attack on a police training college in Belfast earlier this week. In a coded statement, the group claimed the new police service was still the RUC under a different guise.
13 October 2009
Brighton Bomber At Westminster
One of the most daring - and deadly - republican bomb outrages on the British mainland was remembered last night - while the bomber who was responsible for the attack was today hosted in Westminster.
11 February 2003
Man arrested after CIRA bomb attack
A man has been arrested after the Continuity IRA (CIRA) carried out a bomb attack in Enniskillen town centre last night. The device exploded at around 7.15pm at the town hall in Water Street after the terrorist group made two warning calls. The device is understood to have consisted of about 10-15lbs of commercial explosive.
14 February 2003
Enniskillen suspects released without charge
The two people who were arrested in connection with an explosion in Enniskillen on Monday night have been released without charge. The men were detained on Wednesday night and were being questioned in connection with the bombing which was later claimed by the Continuity IRA.
21 February 2011
IRA Focus 'Harmed 70s Bomb Investigation'
Police in NI were so focused on the idea that the IRA was behind a 1971 bar bombing in north Belfast that it was not properly investigated, a report has said. Fifteen people died in the McGurk's bar attack, the worst Troubles atrocity prior to the Omagh bomb.
22 January 2003
Omagh bomb families lodge £10m damages claim
Lawyers acting for the families of the Omagh bomb victims have lodged documents in the Dublin High Court today indicating that the sum of damages sought will top £10 million. The civil action is expected to be heard in Belfast against Michael McKevitt, 51, Liam Campbell, 38, Colm Murphy, 51, Seamus McKenna, 49, and 33-year-old Seamus Daly.
21 October 2011
IRA Victims 'Closer To Libyan Settlement'
News of the death of Libya's former leader Muammar Gaddafi has prompted the DUP Lagan Valley MP Jeffrey Donaldson to further press for settlement of legal claims by IRA victims against the former regime.
16 August 2010
Children Hit By Blast As Alerts Continue
There has been a bomb attack and a series of security alerts and related incidents over the weekend. Police have condemned a no-warning bomb in Lurgan yesterday, which injured three children.
13 August 2003
Minister meets with families of Omagh bomb victims
A government minister has met with the families of those killed in the Omagh bombing today. Lord Filkin, Minister at the Department for Constitutional Affairs, will discuss the provision of £800,000 by the government, which will enable the families to mount a civil action against the alleged perpetrators of the bombing.
28 January 2002
Policing Board meet with victims and families of Omagh bomb
The Northern Ireland Policing Board has met the relatives of the Omagh bomb victims in County Tyrone. The 19 members of the Policing Board, which supervises the new Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI), are to make their recommendations on the handling of the investigation into the atrocity within a fortnight.
04 September 2014
IRA Victims' Memorial Vandalised
A memorial to three Scottish soldiers murdered by the IRA in north Belfast has been vandalised with paint. The Royal British Legion said it is the 14th time the memorial has been attacked, the last incident having occurred four weeks ago. Paint was thrown over the front and back of the memorial, which is situated at White Brae on the Ligoniel Road.
13 April 2011
Doubts Over 'Libyan IRA Atrocities Deal'
An NI pressure group acting for victims of the Troubles has welcomed news that strife-torn Libya has agreed a deal for victims to be compensated for multiple atrocities carried out by the IRA throughout the UK.