Bookmark and Share
26/06/2001

RESTRICTIONS PLACED ON WHITEROCK PARADE

THE Northern Ireland Parades Commission have placed restrictions on this Saturday’s loyalist parade through the Whiterock area of nationalist west Belfast.

The Protestant Orange Order parade, which takes place on Saturday June 30, is expected to involve 750 people and 12 bands. The annual Whiterock No9 District Parade follows a traditional route passing through mainly loyalist areas. Although in recent years the parade has attracted controversy as the route passes a sensitive interface between loyalist west Belfast and nationalist west Belfast.

Last year, the Parades Commission indicated that because the parade did not adhere to their restrictions they would be placing additional precautions this year to avoid unrest. In last year’s parade a loyalist paramilitary colour party joined the parade at least twice.

The parades commission have now placed strict restrictions on the parade from passing the sensitive peace line interface at Ainsworth Link and Ainsworth Avenue.

The parade route will now proceed along the Woodvale Road to the junction with Woodvale Avenue. At this point only the Orange lodges will parade along Woodvale Avenue and onto Springfield Road. They will then regroup at West Circular Road with their bands. The bands and followers meantime will proceed separately from the junction of the Woodvale Road; turn left into Ballygomartin Road and then meet up with the lodges at West Circular Road at its junction with the Springfield Road.

A nationalist protest parade organised by Springfield Road Action Group, which takes place on the same day, has been prevented by the Parades Commission from reaching the main protestant parade route.

Dawson Bailie, the Orange Order’s Belfast County Grand Master said they would fight the restrictions placed on the parade.

(AMcE)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

22 April 2016
Man Charged In Connection With £30,000 Cannabis Seizure
A third man has been charged in connection with a cannabis seizure in north Belfast. Police seized cannabis, worth an estimated street value of £30,000, in the Skegoniell area in March.
28 April 2016
Bombardier Secures Largest C Series Order
Bombardier has secured it largest C Series order from Delta Air Lines. The American airline has agreed to acquire 75 CS100 aircraft with the option for 50 more. The order is valued at approximately $5.6 billion (£3.84bn). The firms CSeries wings are made at its site in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
19 April 2016
Investigation Launched After Car Set On Fire In East Belfast
Police have launched an investigation after a car was set on fire in east Belfast. The blaze happened in the Short Strand area at around 2.45am on Sunday. Police believe a petrol bomb may have been used. A PSNI spokesperson said: "At this time it appears a petrol bomb may have been thrown inside the vehicle.
19 April 2016
Man To Appear In Court Charged With Robbery In North Belfast
A man is to appear at Belfast Magistrates Court today, 19 April, charged with a robbery at an off-licence in north Belfast. The incident happened at premises on the Crumlin Road at around 7.35pm on Sunday. The man, armed with a knife, threatened staff and made off with a quantity of cigarettes and alcohol.
26 April 2016
Pensioner Hit On Head With Stick During Robbery In East Belfast
Police have launched an investigation after a pensioner was hit on the head with a stick during a robbery in east Belfast. The incident happened at Ashton Gardens in the Upper Newtownards Road area at around 4pm on Monday. The victim, aged in her 90's, had her handbag stolen and is currently being treated in hospital.
26 April 2016
Ards Footballer Suffers Fractured Skull In Belfast Attack
Ards footballer Gary Warwick has sustained a fractured skull after being assaulted in Belfast. The attack happened in the Patterson's Place area of Belfast in the early hours of Sunday morning. The midfielder, 25, is currently being treated at the Royal Victoria Hospital. Manager Niall Currie said: "We are all sickened to be honest.
26 April 2016
Police Release Images Of Two People Over Robbery In North Belfast
Police investigating a robbery in north Belfast have released images of two people they would like to speak to. The armed robbery happened at a shop on the Antrim road on Saturday 31 October last year. A man entered the shop armed with a claw hammer and threatened female staff members. He made off with a sum of cash in the direction of Grey's Lane.
21 April 2016
Man Suffers Burns In East Belfast Arson Attack
A man has suffered burns to his hand following an arson attack at a house in east Belfast. The attack happened in the My Lady's Road area at around 4am on Wednesday, 20 April. A container with flammable liquid was set outside the front door of the property and set alight. The front porch was damaged and the man was treated at the scene.
21 April 2016
Work Begins On £20m Film Studio In Belfast
Over 200 construction jobs have been created after work started on Belfast's newest film studio at Giant's Park. The £20 million project, which will include over 120,000 sq ft of studios, workshops and offices, is being developed by Belfast Harbour.
21 April 2016
Investigation Launched Following Armed Robbery In South Belfast
Police have launched an investigation following an armed robbery in south Belfast. Three men, armed with knives, entered premises on the Boucher Road at around 7am on Thursday, 21 April. The men tied up two members of staff and made off with a sum of cash. It is believed they left the scene in a white van in the direction of Boucher Crescent.
20 April 2016
Planning Approved For New Student Accommodation In Belfast
Belfast City Council has approved planning permission for a new student accommodation in the city. A 740-bedroom complex is to be developed on a vacant site in College Avenue in the city centre. The development, by McAleer and Rushe, will include 647 bedrooms and 93 studio rooms, with retail outlets on the ground floor.
20 April 2016
Investigation Launched Following Carjacking In South Belfast
Police have launched an investigation following a carjacking in south Belfast on Tuesday, 19 April. The owner of a Smart car was threatened by a man, after parking the vehicle at around 10pm in Stockmans Lane, and told to hand over his keys. The man made off in the vehicle in the direction of the motorway.
14 April 2016
Man Arrested After Charity Office Attacked In North Belfast
A man in his 40s has been arrested after he threw a brick through the window of a charity office in north Belfast. The windows of the PIPS charity building on the Antrim Road were smashed in the incident on Wednesday night. The man is believed to have been injured after the brick bounced back at him and hit him on the head.
14 April 2016
Two Men Charged Over East Belfast Robberies
Two men have been charged in connection with two robberies in east Belfast. The incidents happened at two commercial premises on the Albertbridge Road at 11:35am and 11:50am on Tuesday, 12 April. The suspects, aged 29 and 33, are due to appear at Belfast Magistrates Court later today, 14 April.
07 July 2006
Restrictions placed on Ardoyne parade
The Parades Commission has today ruled on a controversial Twelfth of July Parade in north Belfast. The Commission has placed restrictions on the parade which is to pass through the Ardoyne area of the city, following the eruption of serious violence on the return leg of the march over recent years.