Bookmark and Share
21/01/2013

Bangor Teenager Kidnapped

PSNI detectives are appealing for information following the kidnap of an 18-year-old man from his home in Bangor.

The incident occurred at about 22:15 on Thursday, 17 January, when three masked and armed men entered a house in the Bexley area of the town.

A 52 year-old male and his 18-year-old son were in the house at the time and were threatened by the men.

At about 04:00, the 18 year-old was taken from his home in the family vehicle, a grey Renault Laguna GJZ 9090.

Detectives from the Serious Crime Branch say the plates were then changed to false ones, bearing the registration number RJZ 6968.

The 18-year-old man was taken to a house in the Beechmount Parade area of west Belfast and remained there until shortly before 09:30 on Friday 18 January.

He managed to escape and raise the alarm.

The PSNI says at about 07:00 on 18 January, a sum of money was passed to the occupant of the Renault Laguna at a filling station in the Ravenhill Road area of South Belfast.

Detectives say a cash-in-transit vehicle was in the forecourt at the time.

The Renault Laguna was then seen in the College Square North area of Belfast before it was found abandoned in the Ainsworth Avenue area of west Belfast.

Detective Inspector Chris Wilson said: "This was a horrific ordeal for the father and son and the wider family circle. It was a planned and organised crime involving a number of persons and we are appealing to anyone with information to come forward.

"We are particularly keen to speak to anyone who was in the College Square North or Ainsworth Avenue areas on Friday morning and saw the Renault Laguna or anyone acting suspiciously."

Detectives can be contacted on 02891801507. Alternatively, information can be passed on anonymously by calling the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0845 600 8000.

(IT)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

25 January 2013
Police Revisit Kidnapping Scenes
Detectives are revisiting three scenes as part of an investigation into a kidnap and robbery which began in Bangor and ended in Belfast last week.
01 December 2017
Stephen Herron Named New Director Of Public Prosecutions
Mr Stephen Herron has been named the new Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP). He is currently the acting Deputy Director and his appointment will come into effect on 02 January, 2018. John Larkin QC made the announcement.
25 June 2014
Six Arrested In Dissident Investigation
Six people have been arrested by detectives investigating dissident republican activity. The arrests were made on Tuesday in the Dunmurry and west Belfast area following a number of searches. Police said five men, aged between 31 and 58, and a 32-year-old woman had been arrested.
17 April 2014
Two More Arrests In Disappeared Case
Two more people have been arrested in relation to an investigation into the 1972 abduction and murder of Jean McConville. On Thursday, police said two women, aged 57 and 60, had been arrested. They were arrested in the Greater Belfast area this morning (17 April) and have been taken to Antrim police station for questioning.
13 April 2005
Girlfriend of security guard taken hostage during robbery
Police have released further details following Tuesday’s armed robbery of a security firm in the outskirts of Belfast.
04 December 2006
County Armagh security alert continues
A security alert in County Armagh is continuing. The alert follows the discovery of a mortar tube, but no device outside the Craigavon police station earlier today. St Anthony's Primary School has been closed for the day and the area surrounding the Brownlow Health Centre has been sealed off while officers search for a device.
05 March 2015
Energy Firm To Cut Prices In 'Selected' Parts Of NI
Gas supply firm, Firmus Energy, has announced it will cut prices by up to 6.38% for customers living in the greater Belfast area, however prices will remain the same for consumers living outside the city. The announcement follows a recent review of prices in the greater Belfast area.
25 November 2013
Bomb Partially Explodes In Belfast City Centre
Police have said a bomb has partially exploded inside a car in Belfast city centre. The explosion happened around 11.15pm on Sunday night outside the Victoria Square shopping centre, but the security alert had been underway since 9.30pm.
22 April 2008
Tunnel Breakthrough For Belfast Sewers Project
Nearly a mile long and 40 metres below ground, a key section of Belfast's deepest tunnel was completed yesterday as the tunnel boring machine (TBM) made its breakthrough at Duncrue Street. Capable of holding vast overflows of stormwater - up to four million gallons - it will reduce the risk of sewer flooding in the greater Belfast area.
23 November 2017
Two Armed Men Burgle House In South Belfast
Police are appealing for information after two armed men burgled a house in south Belfast. The incident happened at a property in the Stranmillis Gardens area in the early hours of Thursday morning, 23 November. Two women, a man and a child were in the house at the time.
03 November 2017
Woman And Child Escape Injury After House Attacked In North Belfast
A woman and her child have escaped injury after their home was attacked in north Belfast. A brick was thrown at the window of the house in the York Road area shortly before 10.30pm on Thursday, 02 November. Police said they are treating the attack as a "hate crime".
06 April 2016
Man Arrested In Connection With Explosion At Palace Barracks
A 60-year-old man has been arrested in connection with an explosion at Palace Barracks in Holywood, Co Down, last year. The incident happened in a postal vehicle inside the military complex on 14 August 2015. No-one was injured however a number of vehicles were damaged.
16 November 2015
Two Men With Suspected Firearms Force Their Way Into North Belfast Home
Two men with suspected firearms have forced their way the home of a mother and child in north Belfast. The incident occurred in the Manor Street area shortly after 9pm on Sunday. The men checked all of the rooms in the property before making off in the direction of Harcourt Drive.
12 January 2015
Man Sentenced Over Ammunitions Find
A man has been sentenced to 15 months in prison for possession of ammunition in suspicious circumstances. The 41-year-old male was sentenced on Friday following his arrest after police searches in the Castlereagh area on 13 May last year.
24 April 2006
North Belfast youth shot with air rifle
A 16-year-old boy has been treated in hospital after being shot with an air rifle in north Belfast at the weekend. The incident happened on at around 1.30am on Friday in the Alexandra Park Avenue area of the city, although details of the attack were not released until Sunday evening.