NI Police Federation 'Appalled' By Hyde Park Deal

Terry Spence, the Chairman of the Police Federation for Northern Ireland has criticised the "grubby, secret deal" the UK Government agreed with "on-the-run" IRA members.

The comments come after it was revealed on Tuesday that a case against a Co Donegal man, accused of carrying out the 1982 Hyde Park bombing in London, had collapsed when a judge at the Old Bailey decided to throw out the case.

John Downey had been charged with the murders of four soldiers who had died in the attack. The 62-year-old was arrested at Gatwick Airport last year and was detained as his name appeared on the UK's most wanted list. Yesterday, however, it emerged that in 2007 - despite an outstanding warrant - that Mr Downey had been granted an immunity deal to help secure IRA decommissioning.

Commenting on the revelation, Mr Spence described the agreement as a "grubby, secret deal", adding: "This is sickening, and I know that it will re-open old wounds for scores of heartbroken families. None of us know of the existence of this Administrative Scheme or what it entailed or the number of OTRs involved.

"I am angry, disappointed and feel betrayed. Those involved in this skulduggery should hang their heads in shame. When were they going to tell us about it, and why did it take a mistake exposed at the Old Bailey to shine a spotlight on this sorry mess?"

In a statement, the families of those killed in the bombing said they were devastated by the development, while Chief Constable Matt Baggott said the police accepts "full responsibility" for the failures.

The agreement has also caused a row at Stormont among Northern Ireland's politicians.

Earlier on Wednesday, DUP MLA Peter Robinson described it as "an outrage and a dark day for justice", adding that justice should not "have a sell-by date". However, it has since been revealed that he has now threatened to quit his role as First Minister unless a judicial review is carried out into the matter.

In an interview with the BBC, Mr Robinson said he would not be prepared to remain in his post after he was "kept in the dark" regarding the issue.

UUP Justice spokesman Tom Elliott added that the immunity assurances handed out are "a disgrace", while Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams TD welcomed court's decision, insisting that Downey "should never have been arrested and this has been vindicated by the court decision".

Also commenting on the controversy, Prime Minister David Cameron described the collapse of Mr Downey's case as a "dreadful mistake".

He admitted to MPs: "We should be absolutely clear. The man should never have received the letter that he received, Downey.

"It was a dreadful mistake and mistake that we now need to have a rapid factual review to make sure that this cannot happen again.

"But whatever happens we have to stick to the principle that we are a country and a government under the rule of law."

He added that it was "absolutely shocking" that the accused was not going to be tried for the Hyde Park bombing which killed four soldiers.

"I completely understand the depth of anger and concern that people will feel right across this country about the appalling events that happened in 1982 and the fact the person responsible is now not going to be appropriately tried," he continued.

In addition to Mr Downey, it was revealed that another 186 people received letters telling them they would not face arrest and prosecution for IRA crimes. Downey, had been convicted of IRA membership in the 1970s, but had denied murdering the soldiers and conspiring to cause an explosion.


Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

16 March 2018
Investigation Launched After Man Stabbed In Craigavon
Police have launched an investigation after a man was stabbed in Craigavon. The attack happened in the Tullygally East Road area on Sunday, 11 March. The victim sustained stab wounds to his hands and leg. Two men were arrested, however police believe they were not involved.
13 March 2018
Four Men Arrested Over Explosive Device In West Belfast Released
Four men arrested in connection with an explosive device in west Belfast last year have been released from custody. The device was found in the Pantridge Road area on 30 October. Three men arrested under the Terrorism Act have been released unconditionally.
12 March 2018
Four Men Arrested Over Explosive Device Found In West Belfast
Four men have been arrested after a viable explosive device was found in west Belfast last year. The device was an explosively formed projectile which is designed to attack armoured vehicles and kill the occupants within, according to the police. The discovery was made in the Pantridge Road area on 30 October.
07 March 2018
Fourth Man Arrested In Connection With Investigation Into INLA Activity
Detectives investigating ongoing INLA activity have arrested a 27-year-old man in Co L'Derry. The suspect was detained by police from the PSNI's Paramilitary Crime Task Force on Wednesday, 07 March. The man was taken to Musgrave Serious Crime Suite for questioning.
05 March 2018
Man Arrested Over Violent Dissident Republican Activity
A 42-year-old man has been arrested in connection with violent dissident republican activity. The suspect has been detained under the Terrorism Act.
01 March 2018
Man Arrested Over Armed Robbery In West Belfast
A man has been arrested in connection with an armed robbery in west Belfast. The robbery happened at a shop on Caffrey Avenue at around 9.30pm on Tuesday, 27 February. The suspect threatened a member of staff and made off with a sum of cash and cigarettes. He was arrested on Wednesday, 28 February, and has been detained in police custody.
27 February 2018
Man Arrested Following House Fire In Co Fermanagh
A man been arrested on suspicion of murder after the deaths of at least three people in a house fire in Co Fermanagh. The blaze happened at a property in the Molly Road area of Derrlin on Tuesday morning, 27 February. The 27-year-old male was detained at the scene and attended hospital to be treated before he was arrested.
21 February 2018
Man In Court Over Drugs, Money Laundering And Immigration Offences
A man has been charged with a number of drugs, money laundering and immigration offences. The 51-year-old was arrested following a PSNI operation which also involved police in Sussex and Home Office Immigration officials in London on Monday, 19 February. The suspect was detained and a sum of cash was also seized.
15 March 2018
Two Men Jailed For Using Explosives To Steal ATM Machine In Armagh
A man who used explosives to try and steal an ATM from a petrol station in Armagh has been jailed. Ioan Anton, aged 40, was sentenced to one year behind bars and one year one year on licence at Newry Crown Court.
15 March 2018
Teenager Attacked In Ballymena
A teenager has sustained injuries after being assaulted in Ballymena, Co Antrim. The attack happened outside a food outlet at Lower Mill street at around 3.40pm on Monday, 12 March. The 16-year-old boy suffered injuries to his face and eyes, however they are not believed to be life threatening.
08 March 2018
Two Men Arrested Over Historical Child Sexual Abuse
Detectives have arrested two men as part of an investigation into allegations of serious historical child sexual abuse. Officers from the PSNI's Public Prosecution branch arrested the two suspects, aged 60 and 67, on Thursday, 08 March. The men were detained in Newtownards and Ardglass. They are being questioned at Antrim Police station.
08 March 2018
Man Arrested In Connection With Raymond Johnston
A man has been arrested in connection with the murder of Raymond Johnston. Mr Johnston, aged 28, was shot in front of his partner and child at his house in the Glenbawn Avenue area of Poleglass on 13 February. A 37-year-old man has also been detained by the PSNI under the Terrorism Act.
23 February 2018
Second Man Arrested Over Murder Of Raymond Johnston
A 57-year-old man has been arrested under the Terrorism Act by police investigating the murder of Raymond Johnston. Mr Johnston, aged 28, was fatally shot in front of his partner and child in the Glenbawn Avenue area of Poleglass last Tuesday, 13 February. The suspect is currently being questioned at Musgrave Serious Crime Suite.
22 February 2018
Man Arrested By Police Investigating Raymond Johnston Murder
A man has been arrested by police investigating the murder of Raymond Johnston. Mr Johnston, aged 28, was fatally shot at a house in Glenbawn Avenue in the Poleglass area of west Belfast on Tuesday, 13 February. The 34-year-old suspect has been detained under the Terrorism Act and is being questioned at Musgrave Police Station.
14 March 2018
Investigation Launched After 9-Year-Old Girl Approached In West Belfast
An investigation has launched after a nine-year-old girl was approached by a man in a black van in west Belfast. The incident happened at the junction of Woodside and the pedestrian entrance of Woodside Park at around 4.45pm on Tuesday, 13 March. The man got out of the van and offered the girl some sweets.