Bookmark and Share
24/11/2003

PSNI launch youth crime initiative

The PSNI have launched a new initiative aimed at tackling youth crime in Northern Ireland.

The aim of the scheme will be to provide an effective response to children and young people who are offending, at risk of offending or involved in anti social behaviour.

The initiative comes as figures show that between April and September 2003 almost 12,000 young people were referred to Police Youth Diversion Officers. 6,378 potential offenders were given warnings, 1,556 young people were given official cautions and 671 offenders were prosecuted.

Over 3,500 cases are still awaiting decision with many of the cases relating to theft, criminal damage (damage to property) and public order offences.

Commenting on the initiative, Superintendent Bobby Hunniford, Community Safety Unit, said: “In a recent report one of the public’s biggest concerns was underage drinking. This is just one example of anti social behaviour in which children and young people can become involved and its one that we can address through this new framework being launched today.

"If a child or a young person is offending or is involved in anti social behaviour it can very often lead to further offending. It is our job to prevent this and through the development of the Youth Diversion Scheme, we very much hope that we will do exactly that."

Around 47 Youth Diversion Officers across Northern Ireland and 28 Criminal Justice Managers will be involved in delivering the scheme.

These officers will liaise with parents, Restorative Conference facilitators, victims, Social Services, Educational Welfare, Probation Service and Youth Justice Agency representatives.

(MB)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

23 March 2017
Two People Escape Injury After Light Aircraft Crash
Two people have escaped injury after a light aircraft incident in Co Down. Emergency services were alerted to an airfield in Newtownards at around 11.15am on Thursday, 23 March. A spokesperson from the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service (NIAS) said: "One Rapid Response Vehicle and one A&E crew attended.
20 March 2017
PSNI Announce New Opening Hours At Local Police Stations
The PSNI has announced new opening hours at a number of police stations in Northern Ireland. Police said "advances in technology" have made it possible for them to deliver new ways of reporting crime, filling out official forms and engaging with officers.
15 March 2017
Drop In Number Of People Claiming Unemployment Benefits
The number of people claiming unemployment benefits in Northern Ireland has dropped. The total now stands at 31,600, a fall of 300 in February, according to the latest figures. Employee jobs also increased over the quarter to December 2016 by 0.2%. Manufacturing output also rose in the last quarter of 2016, a rise of 4.
23 March 2017
Other News In Brief
Farmer Fined For Pollution Offence A farmer from Co Antrim has been fined for making a polluting discharge to a waterway. Samuel Brennan from Larne was convicted and fined £750 at Ballymena Magistrates' Court. He was also ordered to pay an offender's levy of £15.
22 February 2017
Five People Charged Over Arson Attacks On PSNI Officers Homes
Five people have been charged in connection with a number of arson attacks on police officers homes between April and July last year. The incidents happened in the Banbridge, Portadown and Gilford areas. A number of homes and vehicles were attacked, however no one was injured.
24 February 2017
Security Alert In L'Derry Ends
A security alert in L'Derry has ended following the attempted murder of a police officer on Wednesday, 22 February. A bomb fell from under the officer's car outside his house in the Culmore area. The device exploded as army bomb disposal experts were working on it at the scene. No-one was injured and the police have launched an investigation.
24 February 2017
Cash, Set-Top Boxes And Computer Equipment Seized In Belfast
A number of set top boxes, computer equipment, mobile phones and a substantial amount of cash have been seized during searches in north and west Belfast on Wednesday, 22 February.
22 February 2017
Device Found Outside PSNI Officer's Home In L'Derry
A number of homes have been evacuated after a device was found outside the home of a serving police officer in L'Derry. The device was discovered under a car in the Culmore area on Wednesday, 22 February. Army bomb disposal experts are currently at the scene which has been sealed off.
22 February 2017
Pipe Bombs And Ammunition Found During Security Alert
Five pipe bombs and a quantity of ammunition have been found during a security alert in west Belfast. Residents were evacuated from their homes during the alert which happened in the Conway Street area on Tuesday, 21 February, however they have since returned and the road has been reopened.
22 November 2013
Portadown Youth Centre Reopens
St Mary’s Youth Centre in Portadown, County Antrim, has been reopened following the completion of a £890,000 refurbishment. The project was funded jointly by the Department for Social Development (DSD) and the Department of Education (DE).
13 April 2015
New College For Young Offenders Opens
A new college for young offenders at Hydebank Wood in south Belfast has opened. The Northern Ireland Prison Service opened the college for 18-21 year old young men, which will address their offending behaviour through education, vocational training, mentoring and support programmes.
10 March 2017
Call For £120m Fund To Be Invested In Social Care
Much of an additional £120 million fund for Northern Ireland should be used to tackle the local adult social care system, according to Ulster Unionist Party representative Robbie Butler. Chancellor Philip Hammond unveiled details of the Spring Budget on Wednesday, 08 March.
06 July 2015
Employment Minister Launches NEET Youth Forum
The NEET Youth Forum has been launched by Employment and Learning Minister Dr Stephen Farry. The Forum is a regional network of young people who have experienced difficulties in accessing education, employment or training.
16 October 2014
Executive Appeals For Halloween Safety
The Department of Health and the Department of Justice have made a public appeal to the public to stay safe this Halloween. Public Safety Minister Jim Wells and Justice Minister David Ford launched the 2014 Firework Safety Campaign at Hammer Youth Centre in north Belfast last night.
19 September 2013
£1.4m Youth Facility Announced For Belvoir
Education Minister, John O'Dowd, has announced that a new £1.4m youth facility will be provided for the Belvoir area of Belfast. The scheme will provide a stand-alone youth facility on the Belvoir Primary School site, with work scheduled to start before the end of the year and to be completed by late 2014.