Bookmark and Share
11/08/2017

Man Abducted And Attacked In Strabane

A man has sustained serious injuries after being abducted and attacked in Strabane.

The incident happened in the Carlton Drive area at around 11pm on Thursday, 10 August.

The victim, 22, was walking along the road when he was pulled into a grey van and had a hood placed over his head. His hands and feet were also bound.

The van was then driven out of town before stopping and a number of men assaulted the victim.

Police believe there may be paramilitary involvement.

Detective Sergeant Brian Reid said: "The victim sustained some serious injuries during this ordeal including a large gash to the head and a suspected broken arm.

"While the injuries are not life threatening, this was a horrifying attack that will have had a major impact on the victim and his loved ones.

"I am appealing for community help in identifying the perpetrators of this crime. There can be no justification for criminal groups carrying out such brutal attacks, attempting to control communities through fear and violence."
News Image
SDLP West Tyrone MLA Daniel McCrossan said: "I completely condemn this disturbing attack committed against a 22-year-old man last night. This man has been left seriously injured by those who think they can take the law into their own hands.

"Strabane has witnessed a spate of attacks on individuals and families in recent months, which is completely unacceptable. The message must be put out there, and it must be clear, that these attacks have no place in our society.

"I have been liaising closely with the PSNI on this crime and I’d ask anyone who has any knowledge of the criminals involved or their movements to ring 101 and give this vital information to the authorities. Only then can we weed this type of criminal activity out of our communities."

Sinn Féin MLA Michaela Boyle said: "Regardless of whatever reasons are being used to justify this attack there can be absolutely no justification given for subjecting this young man to such a terrifying and brutal ordeal.

"As with two equally despicable pipe-bomb attacks carried out against local people in Strabane in recent week, people of the town are shocked and horrified at hearing about what happened here last night.

"Such actions do not only have a devastating impact on the victim and the victim’s family but they diminish us all as a wider community.

"Those involved in last night’s and other recent attacks need to heed the will of the people in community for all such squalid attacks to end."

(CD/JP)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

02 August 2017
Other News In Brief
LED Lighting To Be Installed On A2 New LED lighting is to be installed along the A2 in Bangor. The £1 million scheme, from the Ballyrobert Road junction to the Springhill Road, is to replace the existing lighting which is over 40 years old.
27 July 2017
Appeal For Information Issued On Bonfire Night Assault
The PSNI in County Down have issued an appeal for information on the alleged assault of a woman in Killyleagh earlier this month. Posting on their Facebook page, PSNI Down said that at approximately 2am on Wednesday, 12 July, a woman was attacked by three other women, sustaining injuries to her face and body.
11 August 2017
Police Appeal To Help Trace Missing Man Geoffrey Montgomery
Police are appealing for information to help trace missing man Geoffrey Montgomery, aged 62. It is believed he left his home in Serpentine Road in Newtownabbey sometime after midnight on Friday, 11 August. His wife and family are concerned for his safety and well-being.
15 August 2017
Residents And Police Attacked At L'Derry Bonfire
Residents and police officers came under attack last night at a bonfire in the Lecky Road area of L'Derry. It is understood that residents in the area were attacked with bottles and rock by people gathered for the bonfire. When police responded to reports of the attacks, they also came under attack by petrol bombs, rocks and bottles.
09 August 2017
Man Released On Bail Over Lurgan Murder
A man arrested in connection with a murder in Lurgan on Sunday, 06 August, has been released on bail pending further enquiries. The body of a man, aged 45, was discovered at a flat on Victoria Street. Police are appealing for anyone with information to contact them.
28 September 2016
Man Charged With Attempted Murder
A 35-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder over an attack in Coleraine, Co L'Derry. The victim, aged in his 50s, is in a critical condition after being assaulted at a house on the Ballycastle Road on Monday, 26 September. The suspect is due to appear at Coleraine Magistrates' Court on Monday, 17 October.
16 August 2017
Man Arrested Over Paramilitary-Style Shooting In L'Derry
A man has been arrested in connection with a paramilitary-style shooting in Co L'Derry. A 33-year-old man was shot in the legs and abdomen in the Lisfannon Park area on Tuesday, 08 August. Police described the assault as "brutal and horrific". The 43-year-old suspect was detained in L'Derry on Tuesday, 15 August.
26 July 2017
Police Appeal For Missing Man Bob Maher
Police are appealing for information to help trace missing man Bob Maher, aged 77. Mr Maher, who has been described as vulnerable, was last seen in the Belle Isle area of Fermanagh at around 6pm on Tuesday, 25 July. He was last seen wearing a blue t-shirt and navy coloured shorts. He has grey hair and a goatee beard.
25 January 2016
Man Attacked In Co Antrim
Five men have attacked another male in Newtownabbey, Co Antrim. The assault happened in the Milewater Drive area shortly after 12pm on Sunday. The attackers dragged the man out of his home, beat him outside and fled from the scene. The victim suffered cuts and bruises. Police are appealing for anyone with information to contact them.
14 August 2017
Call For More To Be Done To Tackle Agriculture Crime
Sinn Fein has said more must be done to tackle the level of agriculture crime in Northern Ireland. MLA Ian Milne made the call after figures by NFO Mutual revealed rural crime cost £2.5 million in NI last year.
01 August 2017
Taoiseach To Attend Belfast Pride Festival
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has confirmed he will be attending the Belfast Pride Festival this weekend. He said that he will attend a Pride Breakfast in Belfast on Saturday, 05 August. Director of the Rainbow Project John O'Doherty said: "We are delighted that An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar will be attending Belfast Pride this year.
17 November 2016
Investigation Launched Following Arson Attack On Community Centre
Police have launched an investigation following an arson attack at Castlebay Community Centre in Co Tyrone. The attack happened in the early hours of Wednesday morning, 16 November. The bottom stairs lounge has been gutted and heavy damage caused to the bar upstairs. Money and goods were also stolen from the premises.
17 November 2016
Armed Masked Gang Attack Man In Larne
A gang of masked men armed with iron bars attacked a man, aged in his 20s, during an aggravated burglary in Larne, Co Antrim. The assault happened at a house in the Sallagh Park area at around 1am on Thursday, 17 November. The gang left the house through the front door, however it is unclear if they made off on foot or in a vehicle.
28 April 2016
Woman Seriously Sexually Attacked In Co Tyrone
A woman has been seriously sexually assaulted in Dungannon, Co Tyrone. The attack happened in the Peatlands Park area on Wednesday afternoon, 27 April. The victim was walking her dog when she was assaulted by a man who fled the scene in a black mountain bike.
26 March 2015
Man Attacked In Coleraine
A man has been attacked by four masked men in Coleraine, Co L'Derry. The man, believed to be in his 20s, was shot in the arms and legs, in the early hours of Thursday morning. The victim tried to escape from the house on Maple Drive where he was attacked, however he was chased by the thugs who shot him again outside the property.