Bookmark and Share
11/10/2017

No Prosecution For Suspects Named By Supergrass Gary Haggarty

Thirteen people implicated by loyalist supergrass Gary Haggarty will not be prosecuted, the Public Prosecutions Service (PPS) has confirmed.

Director of the PPS Barry McGrory said there was insufficient corroborating evidence to support the allegations.

Haggarty was put behind bars earlier this year after pleading guilty to 200 terrorist-related charges, including five murders.

He could theoretically walk free as he has already served three years in custody on remand.

Mr McGrory said: "Full and careful consideration has been given to all of the evidence currently available in respect of all cases.

"I have now concluded that the evidence currently available is insufficient to provide a reasonable prospect of obtaining a conviction against 11 of the suspects reported by the PSNI and the two police officers reported by Office of the Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland.

"I have therefore taken a decision that a prosecution case against these individuals will not be taken forward."
News Image
Sinn Féin Policing spokesperson Linda Dillon said: "The scale of collusion in this case is appalling but it is only the latest in a line of high-profile cases which are beginning to expose the extent to which the police and British State forces colluded with loyalist death squads throughout the conflict.

"Gary Haggerty was a self-confessed senior member of the UVF involved in directing that organisation’s sectarian campaign. He has admitted involvement in a string of murders all the while acting as a Special Branch informer, alleging that his handlers not only protected him from arrest and prosecution, but also actively encouraged his activities.

"Therefore today's decision by the DPP is hugely disappointing for families of the victims who are rightly asking whether, after more than five years of investigations and admissions, is anyone involved in this case ever going to face prosecution?

"The suspicion is that the State is continuing to cover up the extent of its involvement in collusion."

(CD)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

08 December 2017
Woman Arrested In Newtownabbey Released On Bail
A 37-year-old woman who was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office has been released on police bail. The woman was detained by officers from the Paramilitary Crime Taskforce in the Newtownabbey area on Thursday, 07 December. She was questioned at Antrim Police Station, however she has been released on bail.
06 December 2017
Children Escape Injury After Petrol Bomb Attack In Ardglass
Four children have escaped injury after a petrol bomb was thrown at a property in Ardglass. The attack happened in the Crew Hill Gardens area between 4.30am and 7.30am on Saturday, 02 December. The children were asleep at the time of the incident and scorch damage was caused to the window.
01 December 2017
Three Men Arrested After Police Seize Around £250k Of Cocaine
Police have seized cocaine, worth an estimated street value of £250,000, during a search in Crumlin. Two men, aged 22 and 42, were arrested after police searched a vehicle on the Dundrod Road at Nutts Corner at around 4.45pm on Thursday, 30 November. A 30-year-old man was also arrested after a second vehicle was searched in Kilrea.
30 November 2017
Man Killed In Ballymena Crash Named
A 57-year-old man who died in a collision just outside Ballymena has been named as Anthony McGhee, police have confirmed. Mr McGhee, from the Dunloy area, was killed in a crash between Ballymena and Glarryford at around 6.30pm on Tuesday, 28 November. Police have launched an investigation and are appealing for witnesses to contact them.
08 December 2017
Other News In Brief
Around 300 Households In Lisburn May Face Interruptions In Their Water Supply Up to 300 households in the Sprucefield area of Lisburn may experience interruptions in their water supply after a problem with a watermain in the area.
08 December 2017
Man Shot In Co L'Derry
A man has been shot in the ankle in Co L'Derry. The paramilitary-style attack happened near the Creggan shops at around 7.45pm on Thursday, 07 December. The 41-year-old man has been taken to hospital to be treated, however his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening. Police described the shooting as "brutal and horrific".
04 December 2017
Appeal Issued After Attempted Robbery In West Belfast
Police are appealing for information after two men, one armed with a knife, attempted to rob a shop in west Belfast. The incident happened in the Kennedy Way area at around 5.25pm on Saturday, 02 December. The men demanded money from staff, however they made off empty handed.
04 December 2017
Appeal Issued For Missing Man Christopher Johnson
Police have issued an appeal to help trace a missing 25-year-old man. Christopher Johnson was last seen in Newtownards on Thursday, 30 November. His family are becoming increasingly concerned of his whereabouts.
30 November 2017
Man Shot In Both Legs In West Belfast
A man has been shot in both legs in west Belfast. The victim was found in an alleyway in the Iris Court area at around 8.40pm on Wednesday, 29 November. He is currently being treated in hospital, however his injuries are not believed to be life threatening. Police are appealing for anyone with information to contact them.
30 November 2017
Car Destroyed In Arson Attack Could Have Been Fatal - PSNI
An arson attack on a car in the Craigavon area could have potentially spread to nearby houses and buildings which could have lead to fatalities, the PSNI have warned. A car was destroyed after being deliberately set on fire in the Ardboe Drive area just after midnight on Wednesday, 29 November.
30 November 2017
Eight PSNI Officers Disciplined Following Two High Speed Car Chases
Eight police officers have been disciplined after two high speed car chases in which one person died and three others were seriously injured. The Police Ombudsman found that the officers had breached police pursuit policy.
07 October 2009
On-The-Spot Fines To Tackle Crime
Those committing low level crime and engaging in anti-social behaviour are to be hit with on-the-spot fines. The move is amongst a raft of radical new proposals unveiled today in Northern Ireland.
28 March 2012
Good Working Relationships Key To Success Of Supergrass Trials
Ulster Unionist Justice spokesperson, Basil McCrea, has said that for supergrass trials to work in Northern Ireland there must be a better working relationship between the PSNI and the Public Prosecution Service as well as adequate accountability measures.
27 June 2007
Taoiseach ‘disappointed’ over Finucane decision
Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern has described the decision not to charge any security force members over the murder of solicitor Pat Finucane as a “disappointing development.
29 September 2017
Former IRA Members Could Face Prosecution Over Bloody Sunday
Two former members of the Offiicial IRA could face prosecution for their role in the events of Bloody Sunday in L'Derry. A file from the police has been forwarded to the Public Prosecution Service (PPS) on one former Official IRA member and another file is being prepared on another ex-member.