Bookmark and Share
09/07/2002

Belfast July 12th parades given go ahead

As the twelfth of July approaches, two more Orange Parades have been given the go ahead in Belfast.

One march is due to pass the mainly nationalist Ardoyne area although with no music, while the second is routed along the Springfield Road.

The ruling follows weekend clashes in Drumcree where 24 police officers and two civilians were hurt in the riots which erupted after the annual Portadown Orange Order service.

The parades body determination on July 12th parades issued last night ruled an Orange Order parade will be allowed to pass along the nationalist part of the Springfield Road in west Belfast with no restrictions.

Last month an Orange Order parade along the same route erupted in violence with police using a water canon to disperse nationalist rioters.

Meanwhile in north Belfast a march has been allowed to proceed but with restrictions. No music is to be played between the junctions of the Crumlin Road/Hesketh Road and Woodvale Road/Woodvale Parade and supporters have been ordered to stay away.

Sinn Féin councillor Margaret McClenaghan has said she was disappointed the Parades Commission had decided to allow the Ardoyne feeder parade.

Yesterday the party had talks with the Commission urging them to ensure the parade be re-routed after serious violence broke out last year.

Last July the feeder parade, which passes the nationalist Ardoyne area in north Belfast saw trouble break out as Orangemen passed by on their return route.

Police officers were attacked by nationalists as they secured the route for the Orangemen to pass.

Meanwhile a parade by Ballynafeigh District Lodge on Friday will not be allowed to march along the Lower Ormeau Avenue in South Belfast.

The Orange Order said they would do everything they could to prevent violence from breaking out and ensure the parades passed off peacefully.

The 12 July parades celebrate the most important date in the Orange Order's calendar - the 1690 defeat of Catholic King James by Protestant Prince William of Orange at the Battle of the Boyne.

(AMcE)


Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

18 November 2016
New Square Honouring CS Lewis To Open In East Belfast
A new square honouring CS Lewis is to open in east Belfast on Tuesday, 22 November. The square is currently being built at the intersection of the Connswater and Comber Greenways.
17 November 2016
Gun And Ammunition Found In South Belfast
Police have launched an investigation after a gun and ammunition were recovered during a search in south Belfast. The discovery was made in the Annadale Crescent area on Wednesday, 16 November. The items have been taken away for forensic examination. Police are appealing for anyone with information to contact them.
19 June 2017
Investigation Launched Following Armed Robbery In North Belfast
Police have launched an investigation following an armed robbery at a shop in north Belfast. Two men, one armed with a knife, entered the premises on the Ardoyne Road at around 10.45pm on Sunday, 18 June. A male worker was threatened and a quantity of cigarettes were stolen. Members of the public intervened and the pair made off.
12 June 2017
Investigation Launched After Racial Abuse Incident In Belfast
Police have launched an investigation following reports a woman shouted racial abuse at three females in Belfast city centre. The women were sitting on a bench in the Donegall Square West area on Saturday, 10 June, when the incident happened.
08 June 2017
Five Cars Stolen In Series Of Burglaries
Five cars have been stolen in a series of burglaries across Newtownabbey and Moira and police believe they may be linked. A red Peugeot 207 was taken from the Glebe Gardens area in Moira. It was later found abandoned on the hard shoulder of the motorway close to the Greencastle exit.
06 June 2017
Officers Injured After Stolen Car Rams Vehicle In West Belfast
A number of police officers have been injured after a stolen car rammed into their vehicle in west Belfast. The PSNI received a report that a black Audi A1 was being driven erratically in the Albert Street area just before 3am on Tuesday morning, 06 June. The car had previously been stolen in a creeper-style burglary in Newtownabbey.
22 June 2017
Work To Begin To Replace Roundabout In West Belfast
Construction work to replace the roundabout in Kennedy Way in west Belfast is to start in July. The roundabout will be replaced with a new signalised junction as part of the Belfast Rapid Transit project. The new junction will improve the control of traffic movements and provide controlled pedestrian facilities throughout the junction.
22 June 2017
GLL Plans To Close Pool at Shankill Leisure Centre - Union
Management firm Greenwich Leisure Limited (GLL) is planning to close the pool in Shankill Leisure Centre in Belfast, according to Unite the union. Unite Regional Officer, Michael Keenan, has called on Belfast City Council to put an end to threats hanging over pools at both the Shankill and Ballysillan Leisure Centres.
21 June 2017
Plans Approved For 70 New Homes In Belfast
Planning permission has been approved to develop 70 new homes in Ballysillan, Belfast. The new semi-detached and townhouse dwellings will be located on lands at Benview Avenue and Benview Park. Belfast City Council also gave the go-ahead for over 60 homes to be built at Station View in Dunmurry.
20 June 2017
Police Appeal After Attempted Robbery In North Belfast
Police have launched an investigation following an attempted robbery in north Belfast. The incident happened at a shop on Skegoniel Avenue at around 7.30pm on Thursday, 15 June. One man entered the shop and demanded money while the other man stood outside. A female worker scared off the robbers and they fled the scene empty handed.
14 June 2017
Carl Frampton To Fight Andres Guiterrez In Belfast
Belfast boxer Carl Frampton is to fight Andres Guiterrez next month. He will go up against the Mexican in a WBC World Featherweight title eliminator at the SSE Arena in Belfast on Saturday, 29 July. Frampton lost his rematch against Leo Santa Cruz in Las Vegas in January.
14 June 2017
Drugs Seized During Search In South Belfast
Police have seized drugs during a search in the Carryduff area of south Belfast on Tuesday, 13 June. A large amount of white powder, suspected to be a Class A drug, was discovered, as well as a liquid substance and orange powder, believed to be illegal drugs, were also found. The PSNI also seized fake tablets, scales, ampoules and rolls of labels.
28 September 2010
Orangemen Again Reject Parading Bill
The Orange Order and the leader of the DUP are at odds this week after it emerged that the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland is continuing to reject a new draft parades bill. The Stormont First Minister has been frustrated by news that the loyal order's ruling body voted at the weekend to stand-by its rejection of the draft.
19 May 2006
Parades Commission appointments "unlawful"
The High Court has today overturned the appointment of a prominent Orangeman onto the Parades Commission. A High Court judge quashed the appointment of Portadown Orange Order member, David Burrow, who was given the position in November last year.
24 June 2009
Ministers Square Up Over Parades Issue
In spite of working closely together on such issues as their joint condemnation of recent racist attacks, the First and Deputy First Ministers were this week at loggerheads over loyal order parades. First Minister Peter Robinson hit out at comments by his Executive colleague, the Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness.