Bookmark and Share
31/03/2009

Hoax Security Alerts Close School

Hundreds of Belfast school children have been sent home following a hoax security alert.

St Aidan's Primary School on the Springfield Road was closed after the discovery of a suspicious object on the Whiterock Road, which was later declared non-suspicious. Three hundred and fifty pupils were evacuated.

The Whiterock Road was closed at the junction with the Springfield Road and Glenalina Drive, all of which have now reopened.

Army technical officers examining an object at Ligoneil Road also said the alert was a hoax.

The road has been reopened between Mountainhill Road and Crumlin Road.

This morning's hoax alerts came after a series of disturbances across the city yesterday evening.

A number of key routes in and out of Belfast were affected.

It is thought dissident republicans were also behind several hijackings in predominantly nationalist areas.

First Minister Peter Robinson described those responsible for the activity as "beneath contempt".

Traffic later began moving again after police reopened the M1 Moira and Lurgan route, where a vehicle had been abandoned.
News Image
Security alerts near police stations at Tennant Street, North Queen Street, Kingsway and Blacks Road were all declared hoaxes, as were alerts on the Andersonstown Road and at the Stormont Hotel on the Upper Newtownards Road.

The Hillview Road in the Oldpark area of north Belfast was reopened, and the Upper Springfield Road was made passable after a burning hijacked lorry was extinguished.

Disruption was also caused by burnt out van on the Crumlin Road, close to Holy Cross church.

It is believed two car were also hijacked in the Kilwilkie area of Lurgan.

"Those who would try to destabilise and destroy Northern Ireland will fail. We won't be going back," said Mr Robinson.

He said those responsible would not succeed in "dragging Northern Ireland backwards".

"The criminal terrorists responsible for the series of bomb scares and hijackings have no support whatsoever in the community," said the DUP Leader.

North Belfast Sinn Féin Assemblywoman Carál Ní Chuilín said the culprits had "no strategy".

"These actions are wrong and counterproductive to anything that our communities want," she said.

"I would like the spokespeople of those behind these alerts to come forward and explain how this will in any way achieve a united Ireland."

(PR/BMcC)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

17 April 2009
Latest Bomb Alert Declared 'Hoax'
South Belfast is now returning to normal after a security alert was declared an elaborate hoax. A number of offices had been evacuated after the discovery of a suspicious object. It was found at Lower Crescent off the University Road on Friday morning. The street was closed to traffic for a time.
15 November 2017
Man Arrested Over Shooting Attack In North Belfast
A 51-year-old man has been arrested in connection with a paramilitary-style shooting attack in north Belfast. The 30-year-old victim was shot in both legs in the Ardoyne area on Monday, 02 October. He was left with potentially life changing injuries and police described the attack as "brutal".
13 November 2017
Man Attacked In West Belfast
Police are appealing for information after a man sustained a number of facial injuries after being attacked in west Belfast. The assault happened in an alleyway in the Andersonstown Road area at around 10.30pm on Saturday, 28 October. It is believed up three men attacked the victim.
25 November 2015
Woman Killed In Co Armagh Road Collision
A woman in her 30s has been killed in a road crash in Portadown, Co Armagh. The woman was hit by a car as she was walking on the side of the Moy Road at around 9.45pm on Tuesday. The road was closed for a short time but it has been reopened. Police are appealing for any witnesses to contact them.
05 January 2006
Road death figures are lowest in 50 years
Figures released today by the Department of the Environment have revealed that road deaths in Northern Ireland last year were at the lowest level in 50 years. The total number of road deaths in 2005 totalled 136, the lowest number since 1952 when 133 people lost their lives at at time when there was one eighth of the number of vehicles on the road.
22 September 2015
Road Closed In North Belfast Following Collision
The Ligoniel Road in north Belfast has closed following a one-vehicle collision. The road has been closed in both directions near the Wolfhill Road, according to the police. Diversions have been put in place and motorists are being advised to avoid the area. No other details have been released.
24 October 2014
Pair Mugged In South Belfast
A man and woman have been mugged in south Belfast. The man was punched and the woman was threatened at knifepoint in the Malone Road area on Thursday at approximately 7.30pm. A man approached the pair and punched the other man to the ground, threatened the woman with a knife and demanded money.
02 November 2017
Pedestrian Killed In Road Collision In Randalstown Named
A pedestrian who died in a road collision in Randalstown has been named as 56-year-old Mervyn Millar. Mr Millar died on Tuesday, 31 October, as he was walking on the Porglenone Road, close to a primary school, at around 1.15am. Police are appealing for anyone with information to contact them.
30 October 2017
Significant Smoke Damage Caused To Shop In Strabane
Significant smoke damage has been caused to a shop in Strabane following a fire on Sunday, 29 October. A number of pallets were set alight at at the back of the development in Branch Road shortly before 8pm. Emergency services attended the scene and put the blaze out. Two statues in the Bradley Way area were also set on fire around the same time.
27 May 2011
Security Alert Chaos Eases Across City
The main cross city motorway link has this afternoon been reopened after fresh bomb alerts this afternoon saw police investigating an abandoned vehicle that was left under the motorway bridge near Yorkgate in Belfast.
10 November 2017
Flybe Plane Makes Emergency Landing At Belfast International Airport
A Flybe plane has made an emergency landing at Belfast International Airport. The plane landed without nose-gear on the runway at around 1.30 pm today, 10 November. The BE331 flight to Inverness suffered technical difficulties after it took off from George Best Belfast City Airport at around 11.20am.
10 November 2017
Investigation Launched After Man Assaulted In North Belfast
Police have launched an investigation after a man was attacked in north Belfast. The assault happened in the Cliftonpark Avenue area at around 7pm on Wednesday, 01 November. The victim, aged 30, was approached by two males in the area.
01 November 2017
Other News In Brief
Man Convicted Of Benefit Fraud A man has been convicted for claiming benefits he was not entitled to at Belfast Magistrates' Court. Paul McCusker claimed Jobseeker's Allowance and Housing Benefit totalling £8,596 while failing to declare employment. He was sentenced to four months imprisonment suspended for two years.
01 November 2017
Three Arrested After Man Found Dead In North Belfast
Three people have been arrested on suspicion of drugs offences after a man's body was discovered at a house in north Belfast. Police have launched an investigation after a man, aged in his 20s, was found dead in North Queen Street, on Tuesday, 31 October. A post mortem is to be carried out to determine the cause of death.
30 October 2017
Archdeacon Stephen Forde Appointed New Dean Of Belfast
Archdeacon Stephen Forde has been appointed the new Dean of Belfast. The appointment was announced by the Board of Nomination of St Anne's Cathedral. Archdeacon Forde, 55, was born in Banbridge and grew up in Rathfriland, Crossgar and later Belfast. He was ordained a deacon in 1986 and a priest in 1987.