Bookmark and Share
21/07/2009

Teen Faces Race Attack Charges

A 15-year-old boy will appear in court later charged in connection with racist intimidation in south Belfast.

The youth is accused of attacking a house on Belgravia Avenue in the city.

Over 100 Romanian families were forced to flee their homes following sustained attacks in the area.

Many sought refuge in a nearby church until arrangements were made for them to return home.

Among them were young children and mothers who escaped racially motivated abuse.
News Image
A rally held in the Lisburn Road community prior to the escalation in violence last month came under attack by local youths.

The boy appearing in Belfast Magistrates' Court today (pictured) is also accused of involvement in this incident.

(PR/KMcA)


Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

13 June 2007
Duo appear in court over Co Louth attack
Two men accused of viciously attacking a couple in County Louth have appeared in court today. Elias Boswell, 20, from Auburn Park in Bangor and Patrick Joseph Mongan, 21 from Ardcarn Park in Newry, are accused of attempted murder alongside other charges.
14 May 2007
Man in court over pub shooting
A man is due to appear in court today in connection with a shooting which took place in Belfast last week. The incident occurred at around 1am on Friday morning, when a man fired a number of shots at the door of Fibber Magee’s in Blackstaff Square. There were no injuries during the attack.
21 September 2017
Other News In Brief
Man Convicted Of Benefit Fraud A man has been convicted for claiming benefits he was not entitled to at Enniskillen Magistrates' Court. Brendan Laird claimed Disability Living Allowance totalling £4,010. He was given a five month prison sentence suspended for two years.
13 January 2005
Quicker treatment hope for heart attack victims
A scheme aimed at bringing treatment to heart attack victims as quickly as possible will be launched this month in a number of regions across the province.
18 October 2017
Political Leaders Meet With Former US President
Former US President Bill Clinton has met with DUP leader Arlene Foster to deliver a new education initiative. He was due to fly to Belfast on Monday, however it was postponed due to Storm Ophelia. Mrs Foster said: "I welcome plans to remodel and expand the work of the Clinton Centre.
21 September 2017
Police Appeal For Missing West Belfast Teen
Police have launched an appeal to help trace a missing 15-year-old from west Belfast. Gerard McCabe has been reported missing by his family and police have raised concerns. A PSNI spokesperson said: "Police are concerned for Gerard McCabe who has been reported missing by his family. He is 15 years of age and from West Belfast.
22 April 2013
Man To Appear In Court Over Machete Attack
A 22-year-old man is due to appear in court later on today over a machete attack in north Belfast. It is believed a 30-year-old was slashed in the face during the attack, which happened at Edlingham Street in the early hours of Sunday.
09 October 2017
Two Arrested After Catholics Forced To Flee Homes In East Belfast
Two people have been arrested after four Catholic families were forced to leave their homes in east Belfast after receiving threats. The families lived in the Cantrell Close area. The PSNI claimed the threats were from the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF).
12 September 2002
Youth to appear in court over south Belfast murder
A teenager is to appear in court today charged with the murder of a man in south Belfast. The 14-year-old youth is to appear in court in Belfast in relation to the murder of 30-year-old Ian Flanagan whose body was found at Queen's University playing fields on Sunday morning.
08 September 2010
Man Bailed Over Sex Offences
A 40-year-old man has appeared before Belfast Magistrates Court today, charged in connection with a number of sexual offences. The man faces on charge of rape, two charges of sexual assault and one charge of sexual activity with a child.
27 September 2007
Man In Court Over Weekend Machete Attack
A man is due to appear in court charged in connection with a machete attack at the weekend. The 20-year-old man will appear before Laganside Magistrates court this morning charged with attempted murder. It follows an incident in south Belfast in the early hours of Sunday morning when a man received injuries in a machete attack.
21 April 2008
NI News In Brief
Teen Esacapes Blaze A teenager has escaped a fire by jumping onto a roof from an upper floor window. The blaze broke out in a homeless hostel near the East Belfast Mission on the Newtownards Road. He was then taken to hospital.
22 September 2017
Other News In Brief
Man Convicted Of Benefit Fraud A man has been convicted for claiming benefits he was not entitled to at Strabane Magistrates' Court. Christian Leprevost claimed Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support and Housing Benefit totalling £2,573 while failing to declare employment. He was given 240 hours Community Service.
24 October 2014
Police Appeal After 'Shot Fired' In North Belfast
Police have launched an investigation after reports of a shot being fired in north Belfast. No-one is believed to have been injured in the incident in the Farringdon Court area on Thursday. Police are keen to establish what happened and are appealing to anyone with information to contact them.
24 February 2011
Suspended Prison Term For Fraudster
Nine people were convicted of benefit fraud at Belfast Magistrates' court this week for claiming benefits they were not entitled to - with one handed a jail term. Colin McGookin (52) of Sheringhurst Park, Belfast claimed Income Support, Incapacity Benefit and Disability Living Allowance totalling £25,168 while failing to declare employment.