22/10/2012

Children And Young People Warned About Posting Videos And Images

An internet safety organisation has warned that children and young people are posting thousands of sexually explicit images of themselves and their peers online. These are then being stolen by porn websites.

A study by the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF) reveals that 88% of self-made sexual or suggestive images and videos posted by young people, often on social networking sites, are taken from their original online location and uploaded on to other websites.

During 47 hours, over a four-week period, a total of 12,224 images and videos were analysed and logged. The majority of these were then mined by "parasite websites" created for the sole purpose of displaying sexually explicit images and videos of young people, IWF have said.

The original pictures and videos were uploaded by young people on to commonplace websites but then stolen by porn sites for display. Of the 12,224 images and videos monitored on 68 different websites, 10,776 were later found on parasite websites.

Organisations warned children and young people of the dangers of "sexting" – sending sexually explicit texts or emails – and allowing friends to take suggestive pictures or video of them. Young people had to be aware that once an image was available digitally the image was no longer under their control, said Susie Hargreaves, CEO of the Internet Watch Foundation.

"This research gives an unsettling indication of the number of images and videos on the internet featuring young people performing sexually explicit acts or posing," she said. "It also highlights the problem of control of these images – once an image has been copied on to a parasite website, it will no longer suffice to simply remove the image from the online account.

"We need young people to realise that once an image or a video has gone online, they may never be able to remove it entirely."

(H)

Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

18 May 2015
Up To One Third Of People At Risk From Campylobacter Food Poisoning
Up to one third of people could contract food poisoning from campylobacter, a bug most commonly found on raw chicken, during their lifetime, according to a new report.
27 July 2012
18 Month Sentence For Child Pornography
A man has been sentenced to 18 months in prison for offences relating to indecent images of children. Adrian White admitted 23 counts of making or possessing indecent images and four counts of distributing them. Exeter Crown Court heard how the 52-year-old used the alias "Mr Grippy" when he exchanged extreme images to fellow paedophiles.
21 May 2015
Other News In Brief
Police Appeal For Next Of Kin Of Oldham Man Greater Manchester Police are appealing for information to trace the next of kin of a man from Oldham. Michael Johnson, 68, died at his home on Thursday 7 May 2015. There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.
18 May 2015
£3.8m To Fund New Apprenticeships
A total of £3.8m has been earmarked to fund an additional 500 Modern Apprenticeships over the next year, the Scottish Government has confirmed.
29 April 2015
Further Appeal For New Hillsborough Witnesses
Police investigating the 1989 Hillsborough disaster have released more images of people they hope to trace. It follows a request last week for help tracing 18 people that investigators hoped could provide new information to the new inquiry. 11 of those have now been identified.
11 August 2008
Footballer Faces Jail Over Blackmail Charge
A former Manchester City youth teamgoalkeeper is facing jail over blackmailing another player over sexual images. Ashley Timms, 22, a former Manchester City trainee, demanded £15,000 from the player, who cannot be named for legal reasons. Timms admitted blackmailing the player between March 1 and April 3 this year.
16 July 2014
Almost 700 Suspected Paedophiles Arrested In Six Months
Almost 700 suspected paedophiles have been arrested in a six month operation involving 45 police forces across the UK, the National Crime Agency (NCA) has announced.
14 June 2012
42 Police Forces Carry Out Raid On Suspected Paedophiles
A series of raids of suspected internet paedophiles have been carried out across the UK involving more than 40 police forces. Led by the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (Ceop), several people have been arrested in the raids which have taken place over the past 48 hours.
29 May 2008
Government To Tackle Knife Crime With Shocking Images
Disturbing images of knife injuries are being released in the latest government campaign to tackle alarming levels of knife crime in the UK. Teenagers have designed the graphic images, which show the gruesome aftermath of a knife attack. One shows exposed intestines from a knife wound and the hand of a victim whose thumb has been severed.
18 April 2008
Target Child Porn Sites Says Charity
Child protection could take international action to attack websites featuring indecent images of children. They could all be wiped out if there was a co-ordinated international response, a charity has said. The Internet Watch Foundation (IWF) has found evidence of around 3,000 sites offering the images.
03 June 2011
Small Businesses Warned On Image Use
Small business owners are being urged to check the images they are using on their websites in order to guard against costly copyright claims.
10 June 2009
Nursery Worker Charged With Sexual Assault
A 39-year-old nursery worker has been charged with seven offences, including sexual assault and distribution of indecent images of children. Vanessa George was arrested on Monday after police raided her home in Efford, Plymouth and the city's Little Teds nursery, following a tip-off.
04 April 2012
School IT Manager Jailed Over Indecent Images
A IT Manager at a school in Wales has been jailed following the discovery of 400,000 indecent images of children. Swansea's Crown Court today heard how Jeffrey Gravell, 54, had stolen computers from Coedcae Comprehensive in Llanelli, and used them to download the pictures and videos at his home.
02 December 2014
Police Release Images Following Homophobic Attack
CCTV images have been released by police after a man was assaulted in a homophobic attack at Piccadilly Gardens. The attack happened at around 1am on Saturday 1st November 2014 when the 25-year-old victim was on a tram travelling to Manchester and an argument started between him and another man.
12 November 2014
Police Release CCTV Images Of Missing Aberdeen Man
Police searching for a missing Aberdeen man have released CCTV footage capture on the day he was last seen. Shaun Richie has been missing since Friday 31st October, when he was last seen with friends at a remote woodland area near Strichen. Police have released image from earlier that same day, when Mr Richie was in Fraserburgh.