10/02/2010

Sewage Tragedy Probed

There has been a fatal accident at a sewage treatment works near Ballymena.

The victim, thought to be in his 40s, died in the incident at the Northern Ireland Water facility on Monday afternoon

A police spokesman told the news website, www.4ni.co.uk, that the PSNI was not treating the incident as suspicious.

He said: "Police will prepare a report for the information of HM Coroner following the death of a man aged in his 40s at an industrial premises at Slaght Road, Ballymena .
News Image
"The incident was reported shortly before 2.30pm and there are no suspicious circumstances."

A Northern Ireland Water spokesperson told the Belfast News Letter last night: "NI Water is aware of a fatal accident at the Tullaghgarley Wastewater Treatment Works in Ballymena involving an employee of a sub-contractor.

"NI Water is currently working closely with the PSNI and the Health and Safety Executive to understand the cause of the accident," he said, noting their, "deepest sympathies are with the family of the individual at this time".

(BMCC/GK)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

17 October 2017
Woman Dies Following Crash Outside Ballymena
A woman, aged in her 60s, has died following a collision just outside Ballymena last week. Jean Wilkinson was the passenger in a Skoda Fabia that collided with a Honda Civic on the Lisnevenagh Road A26 dual carriageway on Tuesday, 10 October. The driver and another passenger were treated in hospital for minor injuries.
10 October 2017
Man Charged Over Bomb Hoax at Primary School In Ballymena
A man has been charged after a bomb hoax at a primary school in Ballymena. An investigation was launched after Harryville Primary School on Casement Street received a bomb warning on Tuesday, 10 October. A search was carried out at the school. A 60-year-old man was arrested and charged with "communicating false information causing bomb hoax".
29 September 2017
Two Men Escape Injury After Petrol Bomb Attack In Ballymena
Two men have escaped injury following a petrol bomb attack at a house in Ballymena. The incident happened shortly before midnight on Edward Street on Thursday, 28 September. The living room window of the property was smashed and a petrol bomb was thrown inside and caused smoke damage to the curtains.
15 March 2019
Plans To Transform Ballymena Barracks Progress
Plans for the regeneration of St. Patrick's Barracks in Ballymena have moved a step closer after planning approval was granted for the former military base. Up to 140 homes, a £30 million leisure, health and well-being centre and a new road network are among the proposals for the Department for Communities led scheme.
19 August 2002
Work begins on £20m Mourne water treatment works
Regional Development Minister Peter Robinson has helped to lay the foundations of the new £20 million Mourne Water Treatment Works at Drumaroad, near Castlewellan. It will be the largest Water Treatment Works to be constructed in Northern Ireland and will treat 155 million litres of water per day, supplied from the Silent Valley in the Mournes.