08/03/2010

Legion Remembers Murdered Sappers

Members of the Royal British Legion, flanked by standard bearers, have laid poppy wreaths at the gates of a NI army base where two soldiers lost their lives exactly a year ago.

The solemn memorial service was held yesterday to mark the first anniversary of the deaths of two soldiers shot dead by dissident republicans.

Sappers Mark Quinsey, 23, and Patrick Azimkar, 21, (pictured) were murdered by two Real IRA gunmen outside Massereene Barracks in Antrim as they collected pizzas at the gates.

The 38 Engineer Regiment squaddies were just hours away from deployment to Afghanistan and were already dressed in desert fatigues when they were killed.

Two other soldiers and two pizza delivery men were also wounded in the brutal attack that shocked Ulster.

In honour of their memory, around 100 people from across NI gathered at the gates of Massereene Barracks yesterday afternoon at a memorial service organised by the Royal British Legion.
News Image
The Army also held its own private memorial for the two sappers killed in Antrim, and their colleague Jordan Rossi, 22, who was killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan.

As the crowd stood with heads bowed in silence to remember the sappers, a lone piper played a lament for the two men.

Church leaders from all the main denominations spoke at the short service, where they also offered prayers for the recovery of Constable Peadar Heffron, who was seriously injured in a dissident car bomb blast earlier this year.

Two teenagers have been named as the latest British military deaths in Afghanistan.

Rifleman Jonathon Allott, 19, from Bournemouth, and Rifleman Liam Maughan, 18, from Doncaster, were killed in separate incidents on Friday and Saturday. Both men died near Sangin in Helmand province and were members of 3rd Battalion The Rifles.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Defence has announced that a third fatal incident in as many days had claimed the life of a fighter from A Company 4 Rifles.

The soldier, who was attached to the same battalion as the teenage casualties, was shot on Sunday when his patrol base came under attack from insurgents.

Their deaths bring the number of British military casualties in Afghanistan since the conflict began in 2001 to 271.

(BMcC/GK)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

25 November 2021
Two Men Arrested In Connection With Large Drug Seizure
Two men have been arrested in connection with a large drug seizure following two Paramilitary Crime Task Force operations. Officers seized large quantities of suspected class A drugs, worth an estimated £180,000, during two separate search operations – a property search in Ballybeen, Dundonald, and a vehicle stop and search on the M1 near Moira.
30 November 2021
Two Men Found Dead At A House In Coleraine
Two men have been found dead at a house in Coleraine, the PSNI have reported. Police and emergency services were called to a house in Elms Park in Ballysally just before 2.40pm on Monday 29 November.
05 November 2021
Justice Minister Attends NIPS Memorial Service
Justice Minister Naomi Long has attended the Northern Ireland Prison Service (NIPS) Annual Memorial Service to remember officers who lost their lives in the course of duty. Minister Long said: "The annual Memorial Service is an important occasion for everyone associated with the Prison Service.
05 July 2021
Sinn Féin Raise 'Deep Concerns' Over Ending Of Prosecutions Of British Soldiers
Sinn Féin Leader and Deputy First Minister, Michelle O'Neill, has said that she has "deep concerns" over a British government decision to "end inquests, judicial reviews, civil cases and also prosecution cases involving British soldiers already before the courts".
30 November 2020
Govt Urged To Announce Pat Finucane Inquiry
The British government has been urged to "listen to the demands from the Finucane family" and others and announce a public inquiry into the killing of Pat Finucane.