30/09/2010

Rapist Returned To Jail Within Weeks

Belfast Crown Court has heard that just six weeks after being released from jail after he served time as a rapist, Michael Quinn, 21, was caught trying to burgle a house.

The man, who was said to have taunted the mother of his rape victim over the phone, has now been jailed for two years after he tried to break into a house after he was released from a jail term for the sex attack.

He was previously jailed in 2007 for twice raping an 15-year-old English schoolgirl.

Quinn, from West Belfast, had threatened the girl with a screwdriver and after brutally raping her, took her mobile phone and rang her mother telling her: "I enjoyed raping your girl."

Quinn was then given an eight-year term for the attack but was released in August last year.

Last night, West Belfast MLA Jennifer McCann has called on the Public Prosecution Service (PPS) to act in relation to repeat offenders and their release and monitoring when back into the community.
News Image
"This is the second case in the space of a month where a repeat offender has been released into the community and has been found to be once again involved in serious criminal behaviour, despite so called safeguards and monitoring conditions being in place.

"Michael Quinn being back in front of the courts not long after the previous convictions highlights that the criminal justice system is not dealing with repeat offenders in a way that is either credible nor thoughtful of the victims," she fumed.

"If Quinn was able to be in a place where he shouldn't have been and only arrested following a call to the police after attempting a burglary and the use of a sniffer-dog then serious questions need answered as to what other times he broke his release conditions.

"Following the devolution of policing and justice to the Assembly there is now the opportunity to examine and reform the criminal justice system in such a way that these issues would be dealt with in satisfactory manner and confidence can be built with the public in this system," the Sinn Fein politician said.

(BMcC/KMcA)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

01 December 2020
Police Seize 'Substantial Amount' Of Illegal Alcohol In West Belfast
Police came under attack in west Belfast as they attempted to remove two van-loads of seized alcohol on Monday afternoon. Police uncovered a "substantial amount of alcohol" at a commercial property on the Falls Road as they conducted a search under warrant.
30 November 2020
Templemore Baths Restoration To Get Underway
Work has gotten underway on a £17 million restoration and expansion of Templemore Baths in east Belfast. Templemore is the sole surviving Victorian public baths on the island of Ireland and one of the few remaining in the United Kingdom that still delivers its original function, with most of its original interior fabric and fittings intact.
20 April 2021
Woodland Trust Acquires New Land In The Belfast Hills
The Woodland Trust In NI has acquired new land in the Belfast Hills. Biffa Award allocated the funding as part of the Landfill Communities Fund, and NIEA, the UK's largest woodland conservation charity has taken ownership of 98 hectares next to Cave Hill Country Park, with plans to conserve and restore the site.
20 April 2021
Furniture Set Alight In West Belfast
Furniture was set alight in the middile of a road in west Belfast on Monday evening, 19 April. The incident occurred in the Shankhill Road area near to where a bus was set on fire earlier this month. Police attended to monitor the crowds that gathered on Lanark Way on the loyalist side close to the peace line.
16 April 2021
Lord Mayor Lays Wreaths To Remember Lost Lives In Blitz
The Lord Mayor of Belfast and trustees of the Northern Ireland War Memorial have placed wreaths on two mass graves in Belfast's City Cemetery and Milltown Cemetery to remember those who lost their lives in the Blitz.