26/11/2001

Loyalist protest at Holy Cross ends

Catholic children have walked to the Holy Cross primary school in north Belfast without running the gauntlet of loyalist protestors for the first time in three months.

Residents in the Glenbryn estate called off their blockade after a weekend of talks with local politicians and the First and Deputy First Minister. The meetings produced a package of security measures, which was then agreed by both the residents and parents.

However, police maintained a large security presence along the school route on Monday November 26.

Speaking on Monday, Jim Potts, spokesman for the loyalist residents of Glenbryn, said they felt the protest was worthwhile. He added: “The community are very hopeful that the package delivered will go a long way to meeting their needs.”

The SDLP assembly member for the area, Alban Maginness, praised the police for the way they handled the dispute.

"The policing of this situation has been, I believe, good. The police have played a very important role here in preserving order in allowing safe and free access for the children and parents. This is a success story for the Police Service of Northern Ireland.”

North Belfast Sinn Féin assembly member Gerry Kelly also welcomed the news but added: “It is now incumbent upon all of us to ensure that there is never a repeat of the scenes witnessed daily on the Ardoyne Road since early September.”

Stormont’s political leaders will finalise the details of the package, but concerns have been raised that the blockade has yet to be declared over for good. (AMcE)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

29 January 2018
Loyalist Supergrass Sentenced To Over Six Years Behind Bars
Loyalist supergrass Gary Haggarty has been sentenced to six and a half years behind bars for 202 terror offences. The former loyalist paramilitary turned police informer previously pleaded guilty to five murders. He was originally sentenced to 35 years, however he had the time reduced after he co-operated with the police.
05 December 2018
Politicians Condemn Fatal Belfast Shooting
Politicians in Northern Ireland have spoken out to condemn a fatal shooting in west Belfast after a man was killed while waiting to collect his child from school.
08 March 2018
Two Men Arrested Over Historical Child Sexual Abuse
Detectives have arrested two men as part of an investigation into allegations of serious historical child sexual abuse. Officers from the PSNI's Public Prosecution branch arrested the two suspects, aged 60 and 67, on Thursday, 08 March. The men were detained in Newtownards and Ardglass. They are being questioned at Antrim Police station.
05 March 2018
Man Arrested Over Violent Dissident Republican Activity
A 42-year-old man has been arrested in connection with violent dissident republican activity. The suspect has been detained under the Terrorism Act.
26 February 2018
Man Dies In Co L'Derry House Fire
A man aged in his 50s has died in a house fire in Magherafelt, Co L'Derry An investigation has been launched into the cause of the fire at a house on Highfield Road, however police said that they don't believe the fire was suspicious. The man's identity has not yet been released.
09 April 2002
Fresh demands on loyalists to decommission
There have been fresh calls from both sides of the political divide for loyalist paramilitary groups to decommission their weapons following a second historic move from the IRA.
28 September 2012
Carrick Hill Residents Contest Ruling
Tensions between nationalists and unionists continue to rise over Saturday’s Ulster Covenant centenary parade in Belfast, as Carrick Hill residents contest a Parades Commission ruling.
16 August 2006
Three arrested in McIlveen murder probe
Police investigating the murder of a Ballymena schoolboy Michael McIlveen have today arrested three people. A man and a woman are currently being questioned over assisting an offender, and a teenager is also being held on suspicion of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.
06 August 2014
Police Vehicle Contracts Arrest - Man Released
A 54-year-old member of police staff who was arrested in County Antrim as part of ongoing investigations into the awarding of vehicle contracts has been released. The man was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office and has been taken to a police station in Belfast for questioning.
23 June 2016
Police Officers Disciplined For Failing To Tell Doctor About Woman's Head Injuries
Two police officers have been disciplined after they failed to let their colleagues and a police doctor know that a woman had sustained a head injury, a Police Ombudsman investigation has concluded. The woman died from bleeding to the brain on 24 February 2014, the day after she suffered the injury.
03 October 2017
Four People Arrested Over George Gilmore Murder
Four more people have been arrested over the murder of George Gilmore. Mr Gilmore, a high-profile loyalist, was shot in the neck in the Woodburn estate in Carrickfergus on 13 March this year. He died from his injuries the next day in hospital. A 30-year-old man and three women have been taken to Musgrave Police Station to be questioned.
28 November 2018
Suspicious Package With 'White Powder' Found At Postal Sorting Office
A suspicious package found at a postal sorting office in Newtownabbey, County Antrim, has been ruled safe following an earlier operation. White powder was discovered in an item at the sorting centre in Mallusk on the morning of Wednesday 28 November.
03 July 2015
Two Arrested After Gun Fired In Play Park
Two people have been arrested after a gun was fired at a play park in north Belfast. The incident happened in the Beverley Street area, off the Shankill Road, on Thursday. A man, who was brandishing a shotgun, fired a shot into the air and left the park with a woman. Local residents stopped the pair in Beverley Street.
07 June 2007
Houses evacuated after gas leak
A number of homes have been evacuated in County Down, the Police Service of Northern Ireland has revealed. It is understood residents living in the South Avenue area of Bangor were forced to leave their homes after a suspected gas leak was reported. The Avenue is currently closed until further notice. There are no further details at present.
15 May 2015
Man's Body Recovered From Bangor Marina
Police have launched an investigation after the body of a man was recovered from Bangor Marina on Wednesday, 13 May. Police received a report that a man had entered the water shortly after 10.15am. Emergency services and police attended the scene and the body was recovered from the water. Police are not treating the death as suspicious.