27/09/2001

Politicians rally to help ease job cuts at Shorts

Community leaders and politicians in Belfast have called on the government to help the area deal with huge job losses planned at the aerospace company Shorts.

Shorts, which is owned by the Canadian company Bombardier Aerospace, has said it will lay off up to 900 people between now and the end of January 2002.

The company has also warned that a further 1,100 jobs from the 6,500 workforce will go early next year unless there is an upturn in market conditions.

The job cuts are believed to be largely as a result of the sharp downturn in air travel after the terrorist attacks on America.

Potentially the biggest single loss of jobs in Northern Ireland in decades, the job losses will be a combination of full time staff and short-term workers who had been taken on to meet a peak in demand.

Responding to the news of the jobs cuts Ulster Unionist leader David Trimble said: “I am very concerned at these job losses. This is clearly a consequence of the terrorist incidents in Washington and New York. It demonstrates that we cannot be immune from global events.”

Meanwhile, Northern Ireland Economy Minister Sir Reg Empey said it was a "cruel and devastating blow" for the company.

Sir Reg added: "I have written to the prime minister requesting that the government responds quickly to the threat that is now developing to the airlines and aerospace industries across the United Kingdom."

Northern Ireland Secretary John Reid said the news was a "bitter disappointment" for the workforce. "The US attacks have had a devastating effect on the aerospace industry worldwide. Sadly Northern Ireland has now been caught up in the aftermath. I will do all I can to avert major job losses locally.” (AMcE)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

17 April 2009
Protests Held Over Job Losses
About 200 people have taken part in a rally in Belfast to support those who have lost their jobs as a result of the recession. The protest was over some 2,000 recent job losses in Northern Ireland's manufacturing industry - including that at Newtownabbey's Nortel.
02 December 2019
Relief As £107k Online Scam Foiled
An elderly woman from Co Down has been saved from an online scam worth almost £107,000. Fraudsters struck when the target, aged in her seventies, was searching online for investment opportunities in October. The woman gave her details to what she believed was a genuine company, but was in fact communicating with fraudsters.
20 November 2015
Job Losses Following Xtra-vision Closures
Eighteen full-time and a number of part-time jobs are to be lost with the closure of of eight Xtra-vision stores across Northern Ireland. The DVD and video rental chain has said that the "continued decline in rentals" has led to the store closures. The chain was bought by Hilco Capital Ireland for an undisclosed sum in 2014.
05 March 2015
Discussions To Be Held Over 200 Job Losses At Ageas
Political representatives and Invest NI are told to hold a meeting with the management of Ageas Belfast today, Thursday, following the announcement of over 200 job losses. The firm plans to close its call centre at Springvale Business Parkm and a 90-day redundancy consultation period has began.
07 March 2012
Talks To Resume Over UU Job Cuts
Talks are set to take place today with University of Ulster (UU) staff in regard to proposed job cuts. The university previously announced that up to 200 posts could be made redundant as part of a rolling programme of job losses over the next four years.