22/07/2011

Alliance Condemns Oval Incendiary Bomb

The East Belfast Alliance MP Naomi Long has condemned those behind an incendiary device found near the Oval football ground in the east of the city earlier.

Local people have now returned to their homes having been evacuated due to a fresh security alert in east Belfast earlier today.

The PSNI said that the Army Bomb Squad had taken away the viable incendiary device that was found close to the Glentoran Football Club ground.

Around 2pm the PSNI said that it had been removed for further examination after nearby Harkness Parade and Banbury Street were closed when the bomb squad was called out.

The firebomb was found and made safe in the loyalist area of east Belfast as a funeral was getting underway nearby, causing further disruption to both the mourners and to passing traffic.

Speaking this afternoon, Naomi Long (pictured) said: "This [morning's] alert caused significant disruption in the area and some people were moved from their homes in the vicinity.

"Incidents like this are absolutely despicable and people should be able to get on with their lives without having to face such disruption.

"This is a quiet residential area and the community will be very shocked at this find.
News Image
"There are many young families and older people living in the area and this must have been a traumatic experience for people affected by this incident. I am appalled at the completely reckless actions of those behind this device," she fumed.

"People who try to cause fear and disruption must not be allowed to stop progress towards creating a shared and better future in Northern Ireland.

"I would appeal to anyone with information on this incident to contact police immediately to help them with their investigation into it."

Ardoyne

The news comes just hours after the PSNI said they had found a significant 'viable' mortar bomb following a separate security alert in north Belfast. The device was found during a search that led to a man being arrested.

Dozens of people were then moved from their homes in Ardoyne when the security operation was taking place on Thursday evening.

The PSNI said in a statement that a mortar bomb - and a quantity of cigarettes - were uncovered during the arrest and search operation in the Etna Drive-Jamaica Street area, with police now questioning a 41-year-old man about the find.

The DUP MP for North Belfast Nigel Dodds has since said those responsible for the mortar were intent on destruction and its discovery had prevented death or serious injury.

(BMcC/GK)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

19 November 2013
Pipe Bomb Found In West Belfast
A pipe bomb has been found during a security alert in west Belfast, in which a number of residential properties were evacuated. The alert began on Tuesday morning in Andersonstown near De La Salle College.
28 January 2011
Bomb Alert Underway Near Antrim Road
There's a fresh bomb alert this afternoon with the Limestone Road in north Belfast closed at its junction with Mountcollyer Avenue and York Road after a suspicious object was found. Police have said about 50 houses on Mountcollyer Avenue and some businesses on York Road have been evacuated.
29 November 2013
Security Alert Ends In West Belfast
A security alert in west Belfast has ended after nothing untoward was found. Army bomb experts were called to St Mary's Gardens in the Beechmount area around 9.30pm on Thursday night to examine a car. Some 100 homes were evacuated during the alert, with residents being moved to a nearby community centre.
10 March 2015
Viable Pipe Bomb Found In North Belfast
A viable pipe bomb has been found in north Belfast, police have confirmed. Police and army bomb experts discovered the device in the garden of a house in Shore Crescent on Monday. The pipe bomb has been removed for further examination. Police are appealing for anyone with information to contact them.
21 August 2001
Overnight gun and pipe bomb attacks
A number of people have escaped injury after a series of gun and pipe bomb attacks on their homes in County Antrim. A ten-year-old boy escaped in jury after shots were fired into a house at Mounthill Drive in Cloughmills, County Antrim.