12/04/2012

Giant's Causeway Centre 'On Track'

Finance Minister Sammy Wilson has visited the construction site of the Giant’s Causeway Visitor Centre and said that the project is on track to open this summer.

The new Centre, located at the Giant’s Causeway World Heritage Site is an integral part of the Causeway Coast and Glens Signature Project. It is a key initiative in developing Northern Ireland’s tourism infrastructure and will further enhance its importance as a competitive tourist destination.

The project commenced in November 2010 and is on schedule to open in late June 2012 to coincide with the beginning of the Irish Open Golf Championship in Portrush. The official launch will be in Autumn 2012.

Following the visit, Sammy Wilson said:"This project is a major achievement for our local construction industry and demonstrates the ability of local firms to deliver high quality and innovative buildings that will attract even more visitors to one of Northern Ireland’s premier tourist attractions.
News Image
"In my previous role as Minister of the Environment I gave planning permission for the development of this visitor facility and therefore my visit to the site was particularly satisfying to see at first hand the plans and vision coming to fruition.

"We have waited a long time to see such a facility at the Giant's Causeway World Heritage Site. The number of local and international visitors here today clearly demonstrates that a state of the art visitor and information centre is pivotal to the experience of visitors wanting to learn and hear about our local heritage and history that surrounds the Giant's Causeway and the North Coast. The fact that it will be completed in time to tie in with the beginning of the Irish Open Golf Championship in Portrush will be an added bonus.

"This exciting and innovative new building, constructed by local firms, is testament to the Executive’s commitment to building world class facilities that will give tourists a unique visitor experience."

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

27 July 2021
Belfast Lord Mayor Welcomes Progress On Avoniel Redevelopment
Belfast Lord Mayor, Councillor Kate Nicholl, has welcomed the progress being made on the £8 million redevelopment of Avoniel, which is due to reopen in October. The transformation of the former Avoniel Leisure Centre site aims to address the lack of 3G pitches in the area, while also providing flexible indoor space for the community.
27 July 2021
Other News In Brief
Security Alert Ends In Belfast City Centre A security alert in Belfast city centre has ended and been dubbed a hoax by police. The alert was reported to PSNI over the telephone, claiming a device had been left in the Castle Street area earlier today, Tuesday 27 July. Police found nothing during searches and are treating the incident as a hoax.
21 July 2021
Latest Walk-In Vaccination Clinics List Published
The Department of Health has published a new up-to-date list of the latest walk-in vaccination clinics. No appointment is needed to get a vaccination.
21 July 2021
Other News In Brief
Teenager Who Caught Alight At Belfast Bonfire 'Improving Each Day' A Belfast teenager seriously injured after catching on fire at a Bonfire in Ballysillan remains in a critical conditional in hospital but is "improving each day". In a statement issued by Jamie Bryson on behalf of the child's mother to Belfast Live.
10 August 2011
Top Eco Rating For Giant's Causeway Centre
The new Giant's Causeway Visitor Centre in Northern Ireland has achieved an 'excellent' rating of 74% in accordance with the UK's BREEAM (BRE Environmental Assessment Method). Engineering specialists from global consultancy WYG were commissioned by the National Trust to provide advice on the redevelopment which replaces the existing building.