08/05/2012

Man Questioned Following River Bann Death

A 26-year-old man is still being questioned in connection with the death of a 21-year-old Owen McKeown.

Mr McKeown’s body was recovered from the River Bann on Sunday following a search by rescue teams and around 50 volunteers.

An eyewitness reported seeing Mr McKeown going into the water close to the Bann Road bridge in Kilrea at about 18:00 BST on Saturday.

Sean McCarry from the Community Rescue Service said a canoeists who saw the man struggling in the water had raised the alarm.

Mr McCarry said that he understood that an attempt had been made to rescue Mr McKeown, but it had failed.

Parish priest Father Paddy Delargy visited the McKeown family.

"They are in a state of shock and grief and they're coming to terms with what has been a great tragedy," Fr Delargy said.

"They're not exactly sure of the circumstances that led to the death of their son."

(H)


Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

12 August 2019
Appeal As Co Down Business Burgled
Police have appealed for public assistance following a commercial burglary and vehicle theft in County Down. A petrol station in Carryduff was targeted in the early hours of this morning, Monday 12 August. A number of cash was taken by suspects who arrived and left in a stolen vehicle, a white Hyundai Tucson.
09 August 2019
Co Antrim Security Alert Declared A Hoax
A security alert in the County Antrim village of Ballycarry has been declared a hoax. The Island Road was closed in both directions for some time on Thursday 08 August following the discovery of a suspicious object. ATO were tasked to the scene and later confirmed the alert as a hoax.
30 July 2012
Shooting Victim 'Issued Death Threat' Before Being Killed
A man who was shot dead alongside his wife had allegedly issued a death threat to one of the people accused of the killings. The High Court heard the allegations, which relate to the deaths of Hugh McGeough and his wife Jacqueline, killed at home in Legahory Court, Craigavon in March 2011.
24 October 2017
Man Released On Bail Following Rasharkin Death
A 36-year-old man arrested over the suspicious death of a man in Rasharkin, Co Antrim, has been released on bail pending further enquiries. The body of a man, aged in his 50s, was found on the Townhill Road on Sunday, 22 October. A post mortem examination is to be carried out to determine the cause of death.
10 November 2017
Second Man Arrested Over Liverpool Hit-And-Run
A second man has been arrested in connection with a hit-and-run in Liverpool in which Co Antrim man Matthew Bradley was killed. The 33-year-old man was detained on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving in Bradford. He has been conditionally bailed to appear in court in December, according to Merseyside Police.