30/05/2012

Lawyer Withdraws From Honeymoon Murder Trial

A honeymoon murder trial has been adjourned for the day after a lawyer walked out.

The dramatic twist came after a court in Mauritius heard evidence relating to the moments before Tyrone newlywed Michaela McAreavey died.

Lawyer Ravi Rutnah said his professional integrity had been questioned and he would no longer represent accused Avinash Treebhoowoon.

A prosecution witness said the lawyer was late for a meeting with his client two days after the murder and then shared fried rice with police officers.

He said: "As a direct consequence of (the claims), I have decided to withdraw."

Mr Rutnah will now act as a witness in the trial of Treebhoowoon and co-accused Sandip Moneea, who both deny murder.

Details of an alleged confession were read out to the court earlier today.

Treebhoowoon’s statement said that Mrs McAreavey had found him in her honeymoon suite, holding her purse, which he intended to steal.

It read: "I tried to leave, but she tried to stop me, so I pushed her and she fell on her back. I saw Sandip at that moment. She was screaming. So I told Sandip: 'Lets stop her screaming'."

The statement, which the court were told was made three days after the killing, said Mrs McAreavey lost consciousness and the men lifted her into the bath, where they ran the water so their traces would be covered.

Treebhoowoon has since claimed the confession was forced out of him after a beating at the hands of police officers.

The trial continues.

(NE)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

06 June 2018
UK's Highest Court To Deliver Ruling Over Legality Of Abortion Law
The UK's highest court is to deliver a ruling over the legality of Northern Ireland's abortion law on Thursday, 07 June. Seven Supreme Court justices will announce their decision in London. Amnesty International is campaigning for the decriminalisation of abortion and a human rights compliant framework.
24 May 2018
Man Appears In Court Charged With Firearms Offences
A 49-year-old man has appeared at Belfast Magistrates Court charged in relation with a number of firearm offences. On Wednesday, Detectives from the PSNI's Criminal Investigation Branch, discovered a number of firearms during the search of a property in the Springfield Road area of west Belfast.
11 May 2018
83-Year-Old Man Pleads Guilty To Historical Sexual Assaults
An 83-year-old man has pled guilty to historical sexual assaults in Belfast. The PSNI said the offences took place against a teenage boy in the 1980's in the greater Belfast area. The suspect pled guilty at Belfast Crown Court today, 11 May. The PSNI said: "Sentencing will take place at a later date.
09 August 2019
Man Charged With 1994 Murder
A man has been charged with the murder of a postal worker in 1994. The 60-year-old faces a series of charges relating to the death of Francis Damien Kerr, who was shot dead when masked raiders stormed the postal sorting office in Newry, County Down on 10 November 1994. The Provisional IRA was blamed for the attack.
13 June 2018
Residents In South Belfast Told To Move Out Over Safety Concerns
Residents living in a block of flats in south Belfast have been told they must move out over safety fears. Radius Housing, which runs Russell Court, said major concerns have been raised after a fire safety survey was carried out. The 60 residents were informed on Tuesday, 12 June, and have been given four weeks to move out.