30/11/2012

Tweed Expelled From Orange Order

Former Ulster and Ireland rugby player David Tweed has been expelled from the Orange Order after a court convicted him of child sex abuse.

On Wednesday Mr Tweed was found guilty of 13 charges of sexually abusing two girls over an eight-year period.

Mr Tweed is also a Traditional Unionist Voice (TUV) party member, an elected Ballymena councillor and a member of the Christian group the Royal Black Institution (RBI).

The RBI says it has begun the process for expelling him from the organisation.

Mr Tweed has also been suspended from the TUV. He joined in November 2010 but his membership was suspended when the sex abuse charges came to light.

In a statement, the party said: "TUV notes the conviction of Cllr David Tweed of offences relating to a period long before he was a member of this party.

"Cllr Tweed's party membership, in accordance with party rules, has been suspended since he was charged. We respect the jury's verdict and Mr Tweed's rights of appeal."

53-year-old Tweed's membership of the Orange Order was suspended earlier this month, but now the Order has said: "Mr Tweed's conviction automatically terminates his membership of the Institution".

It is understood the RBI's internal disciplinary procedures take longer to implement than those of the Orange Order.

On Thursday a spokesman for the RBI said: "Following the conviction of David Tweed the process began yesterday to expel him from the institution."

Ballymena Borough Council said: "We will be considering this matter in conjunction with the relevant electoral legislation; however, no final decision can be made on the matter until the exact sentence is known."

(IT/GK)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

05 December 2019
Public Urged To Order Repeat Prescriptions
As we approach the Christmas and New Year holidays, patients on regular medication are urged to plan ahead and order their repeat prescriptions. Some 15,000 calls have been made to GP Out of Hours services from people who have ran out of medicine or forgotten to order their repeat prescriptions.
03 July 2001
DRUMCREE MARCH BANNED BY PARADES COMMISSION
THE Drumcree parade by Portadown Orangemen was again banned from marching down the nationalist Garvaghy Road in the County Armagh town at the weekend. The decision made on Monday evening was made by the Northern Ireland Parades Commission who makes decisions whether restrictions are placed on contentious parades.
08 June 2018
Taoiseach Makes Historic Visit To Orange Order HQ In Belfast
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has made history by becoming the first Irish Prime Minister to visit the headquarters of the Orange Order in Belfast.
21 October 2002
Senior Unionist calls for Orange Order link to be severed
The Ulster Unionist Party has once again attempted to distance itself from the Orange Order at Saturday's annual conference in County Londonderry.
24 October 2014
Unionists Accused Of Holding All-Party Talks To Ransom
Sinn Féin has accused Unionists of holding all party talks to ransom over an Orange Order parade in north Belfast. MP Conor Murphy said to date there is no agenda, no timetable, no programme of work or no structure for chairing. Mr Murphy said: "We told the two governments that we are concerned that we don't have a credible talks process.