11/01/2013

Planning Restrictions Threaten John Lewis Development

New planning restrictions may have dealt a final blow to a long-running proposal to develop a John Lewis store at the Sprucefield shopping centre, despite claims from the Environment Minister they are not prejudicial to the development.

The new restrictions issued by Alex Attwood will restrict future retail developments at Sprucefield, between Lisburn and Hillsborough, to outlets that sell "bulky goods" only.

These restrictions appear to make it now unlikely the store will ever be built, despite the application having been pushed for almost a decade.

A public inquiry into the application was launched following concerns from traders in Lisburn city centre.

It adjourned in 2010 and is due to restart later this year.

Mr Attwood claims the new restrictions are part of a strategy to promote Belfast as the leading shopping location in the country.

He said he wanted to assist the commission by releasing his department's decisions on those parts of Belfast Metropolitan Area Plan (BMAP) relevant to the planning application in advance of the final adoption of the Plan at the end of March.

"I am strongly committed to putting Belfast first in these difficult times," he said.

"This is consistent with the revised Regional Development Strategy 2035 which aims to strengthen Belfast as the regional economic driver and the primary retail location in Northern Ireland. My decision today will support that as evidence indicates a high vacancy rate. I intend to take a precautionary approach to retailing."

"I also want to see Lisburn City Centre and other town centres in the metropolitan area taking additional retail floorspace. Sprucefield will play a key role as a regional centre which will complement rather than compete with Belfast and existing city and town centres. That is why I have decided to restrict future retailing at Sprucefield to bulky goods only."

(IT/GK)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

07 October 2002
Nesbitt lifts planning restrictions caused by sewage problems
Environment Minister Dermot Nesbitt has confirmed that widespread planning restrictions caused by sewage problems across Northern Ireland have been lifted. The Minister informed the Executive on Monday of his department's decision and said that after analysing the problems, a way forward had been found.
17 July 2019
Sounds Of Summer Launched In Belfast
A programme of live music performances in the heart of Belfast are set to bring the city centre alive with the sounds of summer. With opera, rock, ceilidhs and choirs, there will be something for everyone to enjoy over the next two months.
28 June 2019
Arrest After Attempted Hijacking
A 36-year-old man has been arrested following reports of an attempted hijacking in Belfast City Centre yesterday, Thursday 27 June. A female driver was threatened by a man while on Great Victoria Street at around 10.30pm. The arrested individual remains in custody at this time.
20 June 2019
Cause Of Primark Fire Revealed
The blaze that ravaged through Primark in Belfast City Centre last summer has been determined as accidental by the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS). The retailer was housed in the historic Bank Buildings until it was gutted by fire on Tuesday 28 August.
27 June 2013
Work Begins On Belfast Welcome Centre
Tourism in Belfast has received a boost with the announcement that work has started on a new visitor information centre. The £1.8m project will see a new centre built in the city centre, located opposite City Hall.