31/01/2014

Bloody Sunday Investigation

Detectives investigating the events of Bloody Sunday have said they are to re-interview witnesses who gave evidence to the Saville Inquiry.

More than 1,000 witnesses, including local people and former soldiers, are being asked to submit statements as part of the criminal investigation into the events.

Thirteen people were shot dead by the British Army on Sunday, 30 January 1972 at a civil rights march in the city. A 14th man died later from his wounds, while a similar number of people were left injured in the incident.

A series of notices will be placed in local newspapers and other publications to encourage witnesses to come forward again.
News Image
Detective Chief Inspector Ian Harrison is leading the investigation and he said: "From the outset we said this would be a lengthy and complicated process and we now have the additional resources in place and a clear investigative process to follow.

"For the investigation to be as comprehensive and effective as possible, police are asking for public support in the form of witnesses who gave evidence to the Saville Inquiry to now make statements to detectives.

"Contact has also been made with former military witnesses. During the Saville Inquiry it was ruled that anonymity was granted to any former soldier who gave evidence unless his name was clearly already in the public domain.

"That ruling does not automatically carry over to the current police investigation. Anonymity will be a matter for a future court to consider.

"Police want to assure all who engage with the investigation team that all matters will be treated in the strictest confidence and the support and welfare of witnesses are important considerations.

"It is our intention to conduct these inquiries as quickly as possible."

(JP/CD)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

12 April 2019
Man Hijacked At Knife Point In Belfast
A man has been arrested after a reported hijacking at knife point in the New Lodge area of Belfast yesterday, Thursday 11 April. The incident happened in Dronore Court at around 11.30am, when the hijacker jumped into the car and produced a knife. The driver got out of the vehicle, managing to escape any physical harm.
08 April 2019
Police Appeal After 'Vicious & Unprovoked' Attack
Detectives investigating an attack on a 60-year-old man over the weekend have appealed to the public for help identifying the gang responsible. The victim was subject to the "vicious and unprovoked" attack in the area of McGurk's Way and Lancaster Street in north Belfast in the early hours of Saturday morning, 06 April.
04 April 2019
Lisa Dorrian Search Progresses To New Site
The ongoing search for Lisa Dorrian has intensified, with officers searching a second site in Ballyhalbert. Detectives have been scouring the County Down caravan park where the 25-year-old was last seen alive in February 2005, as well as a disused airfield behind it and now another piece of land nearby.
04 April 2019
East Belfast Home Targeted In Burglary
Police are investigating a reported burglary at the home of an elderly woman in east Belfast yesterday, Wednesday 03 April. Entry was gained to a property in Loopland Parade sometime between 7pm and 10pm, with the house ransacked and a small quantity of costume jewellery taken.
17 April 2019
Youths Admit To Causing Fire At Belfast Play Park
Two young people aged 11 and 13 have admitted to damaging equipment at Avoniel Play Park in east Belfast. The children were spoken to in the presence of their parents and admitted to being behind the incident which occurred earlier this week. They have both now been referred to the Youth Diversion Officer.