06/05/2014

Polish Residents Attacked In Latest Hate Crime

Two Polish residents of east Belfast have become the latest victims of a spate of racist hate crimes in the city, after the living room window of their house on Templemore Avenue was smashed at 23:30 on Monday night.

A man in his 20s and a woman in her 40s were in the house at the time.

The incident follows similar attacks on homes on Roslyn Street, which were vandalised with graffiti saying 'locals only'.

The PSNI has blamed the recent upsurge in racist hate crimes on the Ulster Volunteer Force.

South Belfast Alliance MLA Anna Lo said: "I absolutely condemn these attacks. Everyone has a right to live in peace in their own homes and I am disgusted at those behind these incidents.

"The local community at large do not support this kind of behaviour and I would appeal to anyone with information to get in touch with the PSNI as soon as possible.

"This is a worrying trend and as Chair of the Assembly All Party Group on Ethnic Minorities I have invited the PSNI to come to our next meeting to outline the work of their special task force recently set-up to tackle race hate crime."

Sinn Féin East Belfast Councillor Niall Ó Donnghaile said: "This weekend we have seen more attacks on Polish families in East Belfast. This has to be condemned by all right-thinking people in our community.

"My immediate thoughts are with those families immediately affected. They have arrived to our city no doubt with the hope of a better life and have found themselves attacked by mindless racists motivated only by hate.

"I would call on anyone who has any information about these attacks to pass the information on immediately to the police."

(IT/MH)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

13 February 2019
Man With 'Sharp Object' Linked To South Belfast Armed Robberies
Police are appealing for information after reports of two armed robberies in south Belfast. Both incidents took place on the evening of Tuesday 12 February. Shortly after 7.20pm police were contacted with reports of a man wearing a scarf around his face and armed with a sharp object who entered a shop in Botanic Avenue.
15 February 2019
SDLP Demand Inquiry Into PSNI Disclosure Error
The SDLP's Policing and Justice spokesperson has called for the Policing Board to conduct a full inquiry into the failings by the PSNI to disclose information to the watchdog relating to loyalist killings in 1992.
14 February 2019
PSNI Issue Apology For Loyalist Killings Disclosure 'Error'
The PSNI has been accused of covering up information after it failed to disclose details about a loyalist gun attack that left five people dead. It has since denied purposefully withholding the material.
19 February 2019
SDLP Meet PSNI Over Information Disclosure Failings
An SDLP MLA has met with senior PSNI officials to warn of damaged public confidence in the force following their failure to disclose information relating to a loyalist killing in 1992. It emerged last week that the PSNI had withheld information on the mass shooting at Sean Graham's bookies on the Ormeau Road, which saw five people lose their life.
14 February 2019
PSNI Admit Failings About 1992 Loyalist Killings
Police failed to disclose "significant information" about a loyalist gun attack that left five people dead, the Ombudsman has said. The discovery was made during an investigation into matters connected to the 1992 shootings at Sean Graham's bookmakers shop on the Ormeau Road in Belfast.