22/05/2014

Beach Body Confirmed As Missing Belfast Man

A body found on a beach at Magilligan Point on Tuesday has been confirmed as that of missing 54-year-old John McIlwaine.

A group of primary school children on a field trip discovered Mr McIlwaine's remains. He had been missing since 23 April.

Police confirmed that the remains were that of Mr McIlwaine and that the death was not being treated as suspicious.

The investigation into Mr McIlwaine's disappearance is ongoing with police trying to established his movement's before his death.

(MH/CD)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

10 September 2019
Images Released Of New IRA Bomb In L'Derry
Images of the bomb left in a residential street in L'Derry in an attempt to murder police officers have been released by police. The improvised explosive device can be seen in a parked car in close proximity to houses and a pavement. Police said the bomb would have killed or maimed anyone nearby had it detonated.
09 September 2019
Concern Grows For Man Last Seen In Belfast
The family of a man who has been missing for a week after he was last seen in Belfast are becoming increasingly concerned for his whereabouts. Matthew Jamison was in Belfast City Centre on Monday 02 September and has not been seen since. Police believe he may have travelled to London.
09 September 2019
Police Believe New IRA Behind Strabane Explosive
The PSNI has said it believes the New IRA is responsible for leaving a mortar device outside homes in Strabane, Co Tyrone. A viable improvised explosive was discovered in the Church View area, sparking a security alert on Saturday morning, 07 September.
18 September 2019
Police Make Arrest Over 2004 Murder
A man has been arrested by detectives investigating the murder of Kevin McAlorum in Co Antrim over fifteen years ago. Mr McAlorum was gunned down outside a primary school in Derriaghy on 03 June 2004. The 55-year-old man was arrested under the Terrorism Act in Belfast by the PSNI's Major Investigation Team on Tuesday 17 September.
13 September 2019
Teens Charged Over Belfast Disorder
Two teenagers have been charged with offences relating to disorder in north Belfast this summer. Trouble erupted in the New Lodge area of the city on 08 August when contractors were sent in to dismantle a bonfire. A violent stand off ensued before police withdrew and the pyre, which was located close to flats, was set alight as planned.