30/05/2014

Bomb Explodes At L'Derry Hotel

A bomb has exploded after being left in the reception area of the Everglades Hotel in L'Derry.

The hotel was evacuated after the device was reported at 23:15 on Thursday evening. It exploded a short time thereafter as Army bomb experts were working to diffuse it. No-one was injured, but the reception was extensively damaged.

It is reported that a masked man had left the device at reception, saying he was from the 'IRA'. He told staff that people had 40 minutes to get out and then ran out of the hotel.

Justice Minister David Ford said: "This attack comes on the back of a positive year with Derry showing the world what it has to offer with the success of the City of Culture and the all Ireland Fleadh.

"This is a reckless attack and those responsible have shown a total disregard for life. Thankfully, primarily because of the swift action of the hotel staff, there have been no injuries. I know that the overwhelming majority of Derry people will be appalled by this attack, and we stand with them against those who want to stop their city moving forward."

Tourism Minister Arlene Foster said: "Once again we see a reckless attempt to kill and injure innocent people going about their daily business. Extensive damage has now been caused to one of our premier hotels, which is venue of choice for many visitors to Northern Ireland’s walled city.

"It is extremely fortunate there were no injuries sustained by guests, staff or the police officers who attended the scene. The heroic actions of the Everglades staff are to be praised as they worked to ensure the safety of their guests.

"I know that almost without exception the local community will be appalled by last night’s attack and I would urge anyone with information to pass it to the police."

Waterside Sinn Féin Councillor Paul Fleming said: "The attack on the Everglades Hotel was wrong and it put the hotel’s staff and customers’ lives at risk. They piled more grief on a family in mourning who were preparing to bury a loved one this morning. They have also put people’s jobs at risk at a time of deep recession.

"Those who carried out the attack have nothing to offer the people of Derry by their stupid and futile activity. The people of Ireland went to the polls last week and in overwhelming numbers voted for parties and independents who stood on a platform of job creation, investment and a peaceful future. It's time these people respected the wishes of the Irish people to advance the cause of Irish unity peacefully and democratically."

(IT)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

02 December 2020
Man Injured In Craigavon Explosion
An investigation has been launched following an explosion in Craigavon. According to reports a man is being treated in hospital for injuries to his hands and chest after a device is said to have "partially exploded". A number of homes were evacuated in the Enniskeen area on Tuesday evening while army bomb experts investigated the scene.
21 April 2021
New IRA Blamed For Bomb On Police Officer And Daughter
The PSNI have blamed the New IRA for putting a viable explosive device at a police officer's car beside where her three-year-old daughter sits in L'Derry. An investigation has launched after a bomb was left at the rear door of her car in Dungiven.
02 March 2012
New Hotel Developments For Derry City
The Department of the Environment (DOE) has put forward an opinion to approve a new 62 bed hotel in William Street, Derry, as part of a mixed used development at Prince Arthur Street / William Street. DOE Planning officials will seek the views of Derry City Council at a meeting on Tuesday 6 March 2012.
03 December 2020
Belfast City Council Seeks Views On Coronavirus Recovery Plans
The public are being urged to get involved in shaping Belfast's coronavirus recovery plans to help create a better future. Belfast City Council is gathering views from people across the city about how Covid-19 has impacted their communities and their priorities for the future.
05 May 2021
New Route Announced From Belfast To Cardiff
A new route from Belfast City Airport to Cardiff is to launch this summer. Stobart Air, operator of Aer Lingus Regional routes, confirmed flights to the Welsh capital will commence on 28 June and will operate up to four times a week.