31/07/2014

Justice Minister Announces Modern Slavery Awareness Campaign

David Ford has announced that the Department of Justice supports a new UK-wide campaign on modern slavery.

The campaign is aimed at raising public awareness of modern slavery with the use of television adverts and an associated website.

A dedicated helpline has also been launched which will be run by the NSPCC.

The television advertisement depicts the types of slavery - forced labour, sexual exploitation and domestic servitude – which take place in the United Kingdom.

The Justice Minister said: "I welcome the launch of this awareness raising campaign concerning modern slavery. It is essential that we dispel the myth that slavery is not taking place in the United Kingdom.

"The reality is that these despicable crimes are taking place in both urban and rural areas across the United Kingdom, including Northern Ireland. While law enforcement agencies are working hard to rescue the victims the public can help enormously by reporting suspicions. There are then support mechanisms in place to assist potential victims."

The new Modern Slavery website includes a range of materials, including video content, to explain the issue in more detail. The helpline (0800 0121 700) provides potential victims, members of the public and professionals with a single telephone number to call if they have concerns related to modern slavery.

Assistant Chief Constable Drew Harris said: "The Police Service of Northern Ireland will play its full part in working with a range of groups and agencies in the drive to tackle modern slavery. This abhorrent crime results in some of the most vulnerable in our global society being exploited in the most horrific circumstances. PSNI welcomes this campaign which highlights the devastating impact on those whose lives are touched by modern slavery. We would urge everyone in our community to be aware of the signs of this crime and to report any suspicions or concerns through the helpline or by contacting Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."

(MH/CD)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

01 December 2017
Stephen Herron Named New Director Of Public Prosecutions
Mr Stephen Herron has been named the new Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP). He is currently the acting Deputy Director and his appointment will come into effect on 02 January, 2018. John Larkin QC made the announcement.
30 November 2017
Member Of Public Restrains Armed Robber In Larne
Police have launched an investigation after a member of the public restrained an armed robber in Larne. The incident happened at a shop in the Upper Cairncastle Road area at around 7pm on Wednesday, 29 November. A man, armed with a knife, entered the premises and demanded money from female staff members.
10 November 2017
Public Urged To Be Vigilant After Bogus NIE Worker Steals Cash
Police are urging the public to be vigilant after a bogus worker, claiming to be from Northern Ireland Electricity (NIE), stole a sum of cash from a house in east Belfast. On Wednesday, 08 November, a man claiming to be from NIE, called to a house to check the electric meter.
07 November 2017
RHI Scheme: Independent Public Inquiry To Get Underway
The independent public inquiry into the botched green energy scheme is to get underway today, 07 November. Sir Patrick Coghlin, a retired appeal court judge, will open the inquiry into the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme.
17 July 2019
No Meetings Took Place Between Police & UVF
A senior PSNI officer has dismissed claims of formal meetings with the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) during a bonfire dispute in east Belfast. Assistant Chief Constable Alan Todd issued a statement in response to allegations that police engaged with a man known to be a UVF leader in the run up to the loyalist celebrations last week.