30/09/2014

Other News In Brief

£350,000 Scheme Completed On Moira Road

An improvement scheme on the A26 Moira Road, at its junction with Lough Road, has been completed.

Work commenced on the £350,000 project in June and has been completed on schedule.

The scheme now provides new right turning pockets on the A26 Moira Road for vehicles turning right onto Lough Road.

Transport Minister Danny Kennedy said: "I am pleased to announce that the scheme to provide new right turning pockets on the A26 Moira Road for vehicles turning right into Lough Road has been completed.

"This will greatly improve safety and the movement of traffic at this junction. It will also reduce journey times along this busy stretch of the A26 between the Moria roundabout and the Nutts Corner roundabout."

Appeal Following Gang Attack In Belfast

Police have appealed for information after a man was attacked by a gang in south Belfast earlier this month.

The victim, aged 20, was beaten with bats by a group of men in the Lindsay Street area of the city on 21 September.

He was taken to hospital for his injuries, but there were not believed to be life-threatening, police have said.

The attackers have been described as being in their late 30s or early 40s. One is thought to have been wearing a red top and shorts, while another was wearing a blue jacket.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police.

Man Convicted Of Benefit Fraud

A man has been convicted at Newtownards Magistrates' Court for claiming benefits he was not entitled to.

Michael Dickson, 46, of Copeland Walk in Comber claimed Income Support and Carers Allowance totalling £11,053, while failing to declare employment.

He was given a two month prison sentence suspended for three years and ordered to pay court costs of £72.

He is also required to repay any outstanding money wrongfully obtained to the Social Security Agency.

Calls For Independent Investigation Into Kincora Boys Home

Sinn Féin MLA and Junior Minister Jennifer McCann has called for an "independent and thorough investigation" into Kincora Boys Home.

Commenting on the issue ahead of an Assembly debate, she said: "Reports that members of the British security services, politicians and civil servants knew about the abuse of children at Kincora Boys Home have been in the public domain for some time.

"It has been claimed that British security services were not only fully aware of what was going on but actively blocked any investigation into the Home. They allowed in effect the abuse of young children to continue so they could use it for the purposes of intelligence gathering.

"The victims of the horrendous abuse at Kincora Boys Home must not be let down by the state again. It is important that any investigation into Kincora has the powers and remit to access files and witnesses including information held by the British security services."

(JP/CD)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

17 September 2019
Antrim Security Alert An Elaborate Hoax
A suspicious object that sparked a security alert in Antrim on Monday evening has been declared an 'elaborate hoax'. Significant disruption was caused in the local community, with homes evacuated shortly before 7pm until the early hours of this morning, Tuesday 17.
02 March 2018
Schools Closures Across NI
The Department of Education have published a list of all schools across that have confirmed they will be closed today, Friday 2nd March, 2018 due to the adverse weather conditions.
19 September 2018
Up To 100 Roads Closed As Storm Ali Hits NI
A growing number of roads across Northern Ireland are closed due to adverse weather conditions as a result of Storm Ali.
20 September 2018
Number Of Roads Remain Closed Following Storm Ali
A number of roads remain closed across Northern Ireland following the damage caused by Storm Ali. The following roads are still closed, however the Department for Infrastructure (DfI) is working to clear the obstructions along with its multiagency partners.
09 July 2014
Amnesty Calls For Kincora Boys' Inclusion In Abuse Inquiry
Belfast's Kincora Boys' Home should be included in a new inquiry into historical child sex abuse launched by Home Secretary Theresa May, Amnesty International has said. The Kincora Boys’ Home is currently part of an ongoing public inquiry launched into historical institutional abuse in Northern Ireland, which began public hearings in January.