16/10/2014

Executive Appeals For Halloween Safety

The Department of Health and the Department of Justice have made a public appeal to the public to stay safe this Halloween.

Public Safety Minister Jim Wells and Justice Minister David Ford launched the 2014 Firework Safety Campaign at Hammer Youth Centre in north Belfast last night.

Young people from both Hammer Youth Club and Ardoyne Youth club joined the Ministers as they watched a Fireworks display.

Jim Wells said: "In 2013 we had the lowest number of injuries ever recorded with only six injuries reported throughout the whole province. This is a remarkable effort and we want to see this effort maintained, and improved. It would be absolutely fantastic if no injuries were recorded this year.

"Every one of us has a duty of care to ensure fireworks are handled responsibly to prevent fireworks related injuries to all, particularly children and young people. We all want to relax and enjoy this time with our friends and family. Most of all we want to protect and sustain the life of our loved ones.

"Let us all aim to further reduce fireworks injuries this year and demonstrate how responsible we can be around fireworks and follow the Fireworks Code. At this time of year we must increase our diligence and awareness to be safe, not sorry."

Justice Minister David Ford said: "The law on fireworks is very clear. Purchasers must obtain a fireworks licence from the Department of Justice and they must be purchased from a registered supplier. I would appeal to those using fireworks to abide by the Fireworks Safety Code as I do not want to see people breaking the law by buying fireworks without a licence or using fireworks that may be unsafe."

(IT/MH)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

15 January 2020
Communities Minister: Casement Park Is A Key Priority
Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has identified the completion of Casement Park as a "key priority" for her department. Deirdre Hargey MLA met with Ulster GAA officials at the west Belfast site to discuss furthering the project. Minister Hargey said she is determined to see the project started as soon as possible.
14 January 2020
Justice Minister Condemns West Belfast Shooting
Justice Minister Naomi Long has demanded an end to paramilitary style attacks in the wake of a shooting in west Belfast that left a man with life changing injuries. An incident in the Burnaby Walk area at around 6pm on Monday 13 January left a 39 year-old man with gunshot wounds to his knee and ankle.
05 October 2012
Halloween Safety Campaign Launched
MLAs have urged the public to keep year’s Halloween celebrations safe and legal. Justice Minister David Ford and Public Safety Minister Edwin Poots have launched this year’s Fireworks Safety Awareness Campaign.
22 September 2003
Website aims to cut down firework injuries
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) today launched a new website - www.saferfireworks.com - aimed at reducing the number of firework injuries in Northern Ireland. Last year 38 people where injured by fireworks in the province over the Halloween period, 75% of whom were males, mostly under the age of 20.
18 October 2010
Justice Bill Seeks Better Deal For Victims
For the first time in four decades, a new Justice Bill has been published in Northern Ireland.