27/01/2015

Security Alert 'Nothing Untoward'

A security alert which brought traffic to a standstill in Belfast on Monday evening's rush hour, is said to have been "nothing untoward".

On Monday afternoon (26 January), it was reported that a suspicious object had been found at the Titanic Quarter halt in east Belfast.

Trains running between Belfast Central and Bangor were cancelled due to the alert, while the Sydenham Bypass was closed for a number of hours in both directions.

Police and the Army bomb squad attended the scene and a suspicious object was found. However, following an examination of the object, it was said to be nothing untoward.

In a statement, PSNI Superintendent Darrin Jones said: "We apologise for the inconvenience caused, but public safety is of paramount importance and this was necessary to ensure the safety of the local community and to protect everyone."

(JP/CD)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

04 June 2015
Suspicious Object Found During Security Alert
A suspicious object has been found during a security alert in Dundonald on Wednesday afternoon. Residents had to be evacuated from their homes on Wanstead Road during the alert. The object has been taken for further examination. The roads in the area have been re-opened.
03 February 2014
Security Alert Underway In Belfast
A security alert is currently underway in Belfast. It is understood there have been reports of a suspicious object found in the Tates Avenue area of the city. As a result, the road has been closed between Boucher Road roundabout and Lorne Street. Police and army bomb experts are in attendance at the scene. No other details have been released.
13 July 2016
Suspicious Object Found In Co Antrim Declared A Hoax
A suspicious object found in Co Antrim has been declared a hoax. The Mill Road in Newtownabbey has been reopened. Elsewhere, a suspicious object discovered on the Lisburn Road in south Belfast was also declared a hoax. The road reopened at around 4.20am on Wednesday, 13 July. Police are appealing for anyone with information to contact them.
07 July 2015
Suspicious Object Found In South Belfast 'Nothing Untoward'
Residents had to be evacuated from their homes during a security alert in south Belfast. A suspicious object on the Ormeau Road was found to be nothing untoward. Army bomb disposal experts were called to the scene and carried out tests on the device.
07 April 2016
Suspicious Object Found In Co Antrim Sparks Security Alert
A suspicious object discovered in Co Antrim on Wednesday evening was a firework. Emergency services and army bomb disposal experts attended the scene in the Cambridge Avenue area in Ballymena after the discovery sparked a security alert. Cambridge Avenue was closed and the object was declared to be a firework. The road has been re-opened.