27/02/2015

Man Jailed For Possessing Explosives

A 23-year-old man from Belfast has been jailed after he was caught with a bomb in the city last year.

Connor Hughes, 23, from Altan Close in Dunmurry, was arrested in the Shaws Road area of west Belfast on 27 March 2014. He had been stopped by police and was found to have been in possession of a holdall which contained an improvised explosive device.

The holdall contained a fire extinguisher, home-made explosives, a detonator and command wire.

Appearing at Laganside Court on Friday (27 February), Mr Hughes pleaded guilty to possession of explosives with intent to endanger life.

He was sentenced to 11 years, half of which will be spent in prison and half on licence.
News Image
Welcoming the sentencing, Detective Superintendent Kevin Geddes, from Serious Crime Branch, said: "Police action on that night last March undoubtedly saved lives, most probably the lives of our police colleagues who were working to provide a service in the area to the local community.

"But the community itself was also put in danger of death or serious injury because of the highly unpredictable nature of these improvised explosive devices.

"The community is safer today as a result of this young man's imprisonment. While we welcome the sentence, it is a matter of concern to see a man as young as 23 become involved in such criminal activity and waste his future behind bars."

(JP)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

28 September 2015
Woman Arrested In Connection With Firearms And Explosives Find
A 35-year-old woman has been arrested in connection with a firearms and explosives find in west Belfast. Over half-a-kilo of Semtex, two handguns, more than 200 rounds of ammunition and two detonators were discovered on the Ballymurphy Road earlier this month. The woman is being detained at Antrim Police Sattion.
18 December 2014
Two Charged Over Terrorism Offences
Two more men have been charged with terrorism offences in relation to dissident republican activity, police have said. A 41-year-old man was charged with attending and receiving explosives training, while a 54-year-old man was charged with conspiracy to cause an explosion. Both were also charged with membership of a proscribed organisation.
08 October 2014
Police Cancel Appeal For Missing Omagh Man
Police have said they believe missing Omagh man, Shane Sharkey, has been found in the Republic of Ireland. A police appeal for help in finding the 35-year-old has been cancelled, with police saying they now believe they know where he is. No further details have been released but police thanked the public for their help.
02 July 2014
Man Sentenced Over Larne Explosives Find
A man has been sentenced to six years in prison for having explosives and a firearm in Larne, County Antrim, last year. 25-year-old Niall Lehd, of Seahill Road in the town, admitted two charges of having explosives with intent to endanger life and one charge of having a gun in suspicious circumstances.
29 May 2008
Welcome For Antrim Project's Job Creation
A new community-based develoment which is creating employment opportunities in Co Antrim has been welcomed by the NI Social Development Minister Margaret Ritchie. She helped to launch the new, mixed-use resource and business project in Antrim town.