27/05/2015

Two Police Officers Disciplined Over Report Of Indecent Approach To Children

Two police officers have been disciplined following a complaint about a police response to reports that a man had approached three young girls and asked them to touch him in east Belfast last year.

The Police Ombudsman Office received a complaint from the father of one of the young girls, which questioned how police had responded to the reports and also alleged they had failed to secure CCTV footage from the Beersbridge Road area.

The Police Ombudsman, Dr Michael Maguire, found that police subsequently went to great lengths to find this man, without success, but the efforts had been undermined by a number of failures in the early part of the investigation.

Police Ombudsman investigators examined all police documentation, listened to phone calls and police radio transmissions, visited the scene of the reported incident and spoke to a number of people, including the mother of one of the young girls.

They established that police received a 999 telephone call at 16:26 hrs on 4 August last year telling them a man had just approached and exposed himself to the girls, who were each aged about seven years old, asking them to touch him. The caller advised that the man had ran off towards the river.

However, police received a second call 32 minutes later telling them he was still in the area.

Police correctly entered the details of the initial call on the computer systems and circulated the alleged offender’s description within two minutes of receiving the report.
News Image
However, they gave the computer entry a grading which indicated that while the issue had a degree of importance, it did not require an emergency response.

Following the second call, the police officer's supervisor directed that the matter be dealt with as an emergency and a police vehicle be sent to the scene.

"The police dispatch officer failed to assign police officers to the call and failed to consider the young age of the girls and the fact the alleged perpetrator had left the scene.

"This report required police to attend immediately; regrettably this did not happen. Police lost 32 minutes in responding to the call and with this an opportunity to apprehend the man," said Dr Maguire.

Police Ombudsman investigators established that the officer who was tasked with investigating this incident had technical difficulties getting CCTV footage from a nearby petrol station.

They found that she failed to ask for the necessary technical help from colleagues or to explain the urgency of the task, all of which contributed to a delay, during which time the footage was automatically wiped clean.

Investigators also identified CCTV footage from a nearby shop which had been overlooked. They alerted police officers to this material, which was then seized.

The Police Ombudsman said that despite a thorough investigation from this point onwards, no one was apprehended in relation to the reports of the indecent approach to the children.

The police dispatch officer and the Investigating Officer have both been disciplined.

(CD)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

19 May 2022
Drugs And Cash Seized In Investigation Linked To INLA Criminality
A quantity of suspected Class A controlled drugs with an estimated street value of £6,000 and a quantity of cash has been seized during a search operation in L'Derry by the PSNI's Paramilitary Crime Task Force, investigating criminality linked to the INLA.
24 May 2022
Man Arrested In Connection With Violent Street Robbery
A 23-year-old man has been arrested in connection with a violent street robbery in the Ormeau Road area of south Belfast on Sunday 22 May. Shortly before 7:50pm, it was reported that a man in his 20s and a woman in her 40s were outside a commercial premises when they were approached by two males.
29 April 2022
Man Pleads Guilty To Being Getaway Driver In North Belfast Robberies
A 39-year-old man has been sentenced to seven and half years after pleading guilty to being involved as a getaway driver in two robberies. Ross Thompson will serve three years and nine months in custody, with the remaining three years and nine months on licence.
12 May 2022
Man Shot And Beaten In Bushmills Attack
The PSNI have issued an appeal for help in tracing the whereabouts of following a shooting incident in the Woodvale Park area of Bushmills last night, Wednesday 11th May. Shortly after 11.10pm it was reported that a number of masked men entered a house armed with a gun and "wooden weapons".
12 May 2022
Man Convicted In First Operation Venetic Investigation In NI
A 37-year-old man has been sentenced to three years at Laganside Crown Court for a range of drug and counterfeit currency charges. Detectives from the Police Service of Northern Ireland's Organised Crime Branch have welcomed the sentence handed down to Samuel McKeag.