30/07/2015

Parades Commission Slammed Over March Decision

The Parades Commission has been slammed over its decision to let a controversial march in south Belfast to go-ahead.

The parade to take place on Friday, 31 July, organised by the Annadale Heritage and Cultural Society, will mark the 21st anniversary of the death of UDA men Joe Bratty and Raymond Elder, who were linked to the Sean Graham bookmakers' massacre in the Lower Ormeau in 1992.

It is scheduled to begin at Ballynafeigh Orange Hall and make its way around the upper Ormeau Road. Permission has been granted for 35 bands and 1,600 people to attend.
News Image
Alliance South Belfast Councillor Mr McDonough-Brown said he had been contacted by several constituents following a similar parade last year, which attracted criticism for paramilitary trappings and intimidation towards residents from participants.

He said: "I received a number of complaints from local residents about issues including public urination and disorderly behaviour by those attending the parade. All of which was reported to police, who subsequently failed to bring any prosecutions.

"This has added to the tension brought to Ballynafeigh, which is an otherwise peaceful and mixed community, by commemorating an illegal group who brought so much death and destruction to our streets, particularly so close to the scene of the bookmakers' massacre.

"The Parades Commission has failed to consider these points in making their determination."

(CD)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

08 November 2019
Young Girl Struck By Vehicle In Co Down
A young girl has suffered injuries after she was struck by a passing vehicle that failed to stop in Co Down. Police are appealing for witnesses to the collision on Market Street, Downpatrick at around 5.30pm on Thursday 07 November.
25 February 2019
Man Released After Arrest In Ballymena Death Probe
Detectives investigating the death of a homeless man in County Antrim have released a man on bail. It is understood a resident of the Simon Community's Mill House hostel in Ballymena was found dead on Sunday morning, 24 February. Ambulance crews responded to a 999 call at around 6.20am, but the man died at the scene.
13 June 2019
Investigation Launched Into Sudden Death In Portadown
An investigation has been launched into the sudden death of an elderly man in Portadown. It is understood that the man, aged in his 80s, was found dead at a property in the Levaghery Gardens area by emergency services shortly before 5pm yesterday, Wednesday 13 June.
11 June 2019
Police Appeal For Information Following Death Of L'Derry Teen
Police in L'Derry are searching for two men believed to have fled the scene of a crashed stolen car moments before it caught fire and killed Caoimhin Cassidy. The body of Caoimhin (18) was found inside a burnt Mazda 6 in the early hours of Saturday, 01 June. The car is believed to have been stolen earlier that same day.
18 October 2019
Arrest Over Sudden Death In East Belfast
A man has been arrested following the sudden death of a man in Tullycarnet, east Belfast on Thursday evening. Police said a 49-year-old man lost his life during an incident on the Kings Road. It's understood his body was discovered close to flats near Granton Park at around 8.15pm.