Officer Failed To Seek Medical Assistance For Man Attacked At Nightclub - Report

A police officer failed to summon medical assistance for a man who had been attacked outside a nightclub in County Antrim, according to a report by the Police Ombudsman.

The man suffered head and face injuries after intervening to help a friend who was being attacked by five other men outside a nightclub in November 2014.

After managing to escape and run off, the man met up with his brother who spoke to a female officer when she got out of a police car which stopped nearby.

He told her about the assault and the officer allegedly replied: "It's none of my business. Come back when you are sober."

When told that he was not drunk, the officer was reported to have "wanted nothing to do with it".

The complainant said it should have been apparent that he had suffered facial injuries, however the officer did not take his details or arrange for medical attention.

The man made his way home, but said he had to attend the local accident and emergency unit later that morning. He described suffering memory loss for four hours and said medical staff told him that he was lucky to be alive.

The man's mother reported the incident the following afternoon and police commenced an investigation into the attack.
News Image
During his enquiries into whether police had failed to assist the man, a Police Ombudsman investigator obtained all relevant police documentation and also established that the encounter had not been captured on CCTV.

Police records showed that police had responded to two reports of fighting in the area that night. Four police cars attended at around 12.30am, and three cars were sent in response to more fighting shortly after 2am.

The circumstances described by the complainant suggested it was an officer responding to the second incident who his brother had spoken to.

There had been four female officers among the police crews dealing with that call – three of whom matched the description provided by the complainant and his brother. None of the officers recalled having spoken to anyone with facial injuries.

One of those officers had also been on patrol in a car which matched a description provided by the two brothers, but when questioned she said all had been peaceful when she arrived at the scene and she had not got out of the police car or spoken to anyone.

Given the similar accounts provided by the two brothers, and the fact they tallied with police records, the Police Ombudsman investigator found that an officer had failed to record the man's details or secure him medical assistance.

However, no disciplinary action could be taken as it proved impossible to positively identify the officer involved.


Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

06 August 2014
Police Vehicle Contracts Arrest - Man Released
A 54-year-old member of police staff who was arrested in County Antrim as part of ongoing investigations into the awarding of vehicle contracts has been released. The man was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office and has been taken to a police station in Belfast for questioning.
28 March 2007
House of Lords vote for ‘50/50’ police force
The House of Lords has renewed the 50/50 recruitment rule for the PSNI by a majority of 44. It puts into practice a recommendation made in 1999 by Lord Patten that the local police force should be split evenly between Catholics and Protestants. The result of the vote was 141 to 97.
30 January 2015
Armed Robber Dresses As Police Officer
Police are searching for two men in connection with the attempted armed robbery of a shop in Co Armagh. Police said that one of the men who attempted to rob the shop on West Street, Portadown, was dressed as a policeman. It is understood two men entered the shop at about 10am on Thursday, one of them was carrying a suspected firearm.
03 July 2007
Man questioned about 1988 murder
A man has been arrested in connection with police inquiries into a murder in 1988. The body of Lily Smyth, 66, was found in her flat at Moveen House in Dunmurry on October 9, 1988. The pensioner had been strangled. A police spokesperson said that a 43-year-old man had been arrested and is being questioned at Antrim Police Station.
27 May 2015
Two Police Officers Disciplined Over Report Of Indecent Approach To Children
Two police officers have been disciplined following a complaint about a police response to reports that a man had approached three young girls and asked them to touch him in east Belfast last year.