25/02/2016

SIPTU Condemn Brinks Ireland Job Loses

News that Brinks Ireland is to cease its cash in transit operations with the lose of 200 jobs has been condemned by SIPTU.

Making the announcement on Monday, Brinks Ireland said it would end the operations by the end of July.

SIPTU Organiser, Brendan Carr, said: "The workers are extremely disappointed by this announcement. Only last month, union representatives finalised an agreement with management on a major restructuring deal which we were ensured would safeguard the company's future in Ireland.

"Unfortunately, despite the sacrifices of its workforce and there willingness to adapt to the company's demands it has still decided to end its cash in transit operations. This will result in 200 jobs losses at the company's bases in Dublin, Cork and Galway."

SIPTU representatives will now work towards securing employment for affected workers in this "specialised industry".

"These workers are licenced to work in the cash in transit industry and where possible it is hoped that they can transfer to a new employer along with the contracts that are currently being serviced by Brinks Ireland," Mr Carr added.

"We welcome the intervention of Minister for State, Ged Nash, who has asked the company to reconsider its decision. He has also given a commitment to work with the union and the workers to try and secure as many of their positions as possible within the industry.

"These jobs have been endangered, in part, due to the operation of low cost employers in the security industry. These companies do not adhere to the established terms and conditions of employment in the cash in transit sector. These operators are expanding by undermining workers' conditions in what is an extremely difficult industry with a resulting decline in standards."

(MH/LM)

Related Northern Ireland Recruitment News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

06 October 2011
€35m Could Help Ex Construction Workers
The European Commission has announced proposals that if passed, will make significant funds available to help unemployed construction workers across Ireland back into work. The plan will see Ireland receive €35m from the European Globalisation Adjustment Fund (EGF) to help 5,987 redundant construction workers across Ireland.
29 January 2010
Jobs Lost As Workers Reject 50% Pay Cut
QK Meats in Kildare has informed its workers it is to cease production tomorrow with the loss of 90 jobs. Staff at the food production plant rejected a 50% paycut from the company shortly before today's announcement.
26 January 2009
Bank Seeks Redundancies As Recession Bites
As shock news emerged today that more that 700 jobs are to be lost at the Ulster Bank across Ireland, there's yet more evidence that the recession is hitting hard with shock redundancies predicted across the UK's steel industry.
15 May 2008
Irish Workers Would Take Pay Cut For Dream Job
A recent survey has revealed the vast majority of Irish workers would take a salary cut if it meant getting their dream job. The survey of over 20,000 people found 84% believe a fulfilling career is more important than money amid ongoing turmoil with the government, unions and employers locked in the latest round of national pay talks.
08 July 2013
28 New Jobs Announced At Becton, Dickinson And Company
An Taoiseach, Mr Enda Kenny TD and Minister of State, Mr Fergus O'Dowd TD visited Becton, Dickinson and Company (BD) operations in Drogheda Co Louth, where €3.5m has been invested in new equipment to manufacture state-of-the-art safety needles designed to help protect healthcare workers and patients from medical sharps injuries.