Police Officer Disciplined For Doing 'Virtually Nothing' Over Schoolboy Attack

A police officer has been disciplined for doing "virtually nothing" after a schoolboy from Co Down was attacked in 2014, according to the Police Ombudsman.

The boy sustained a broken front tooth, a suspected broken wrist, a black eye and bruising when he was punched and kicked during the incident.

The boy's mother made a complaint to the Police Ombudsman and it was found the officer made some initial enquiries, but failed to progress the case in any significant way for 10 months.

During this time, his mother made repeated attempts to contact the officer, with no success. She tried the number he had given her, and left a message, but received no reply.

She later tried to contact him via the police non-emergency 101 number, which she called three times. She still received no response from him, even after the call handler advised during the third call that the officer's sergeant would be informed.
News Image
The only time during the 10 month period that she did manage to speak to the officer, was when he returned a call after she had learned that he had failed to submit paperwork relating to the case.

In June 2015, almost a year after the incident, the boy's mother made a complaint about the lack of progress on the case and lack of communication from the officer.

When interviewed by a Police Ombudsman investigator, the officer could provide no valid reason for the delay. He stated only that he had been busy with a number of other cases and had, on a number of occasions, been extracted from his investigative role to perform other duties.

He added that he had forgotten the password for his answerphone and had not used that number for a long time, but accepted he had received one message which he failed to return.

The Police Ombudsman investigator said it was "unacceptable" that the officer had provided the boy's mother with a contact number which he did not use.

When asked why it had taken almost a year for him to secure consent to access the boy’s medical and dental records, the officer said he had forgotten about it. He also admitted incorrectly dating a statement taken from the boy.


Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

06 August 2014
Police Vehicle Contracts Arrest - Man Released
A 54-year-old member of police staff who was arrested in County Antrim as part of ongoing investigations into the awarding of vehicle contracts has been released. The man was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office and has been taken to a police station in Belfast for questioning.
28 March 2007
House of Lords vote for ‘50/50’ police force
The House of Lords has renewed the 50/50 recruitment rule for the PSNI by a majority of 44. It puts into practice a recommendation made in 1999 by Lord Patten that the local police force should be split evenly between Catholics and Protestants. The result of the vote was 141 to 97.
03 December 2015
Two Officers Disciplined For Failing To Fully Investigate Attack On Woman
Two police officers have been disciplined for failing to properly investigate an attack on a woman in L'Derry in 2014, following an investigation by the Police Ombudsman. The victim reported that a man had punched her in the face in an apparently unprovoked attack after she left a bar in the early hours of the morning.
07 January 2016
Police Officer Given Adult Caution For Bar Assault
A police officer assaulted a man at a bar while off-duty and unlawfully accessed information on police computer systems, according to a Police Ombudsman investigation. The officer was given an adult caution after he was found to have punched a man in the face during an argument at a bar in Belfast city centre in August 2014.
05 April 2011
£50K Offered To Catch Ronan Kerr's Killers
The national crime-fighting charity Crimestoppers is offering a cash incentive of up to £50,000 for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the death of PSNI officer, Ronan Kerr (pictured).