02/12/2016

Cold Callers Target Elderly Residents In Ballymoney

Elderly and vulnerable residents in the Ballymoney area are being targeted by cold callers requesting that they hand over any new £5 notes.

A man and woman claiming to be from the government are asking residents to return all notes to them as they are no longer of legal tender.
News Image
Police have issued a warning to the public to be aware of the scam and to "keep an eye out" for any elderly friends or relatives who may be targeted.

They are also appealing for anyone with information to contact them.

(CD)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

11 March 2020
PSNI See Rise In Fraudulent Phone Calls
Members of the public are urged to remain vigilant in the face of rising numbers of fraudulent telephone calls. The PSNI said older people are at a heightened risk of falling victim to over the phone scams.
23 March 2020
Scammers Prey On Vulnerable Amid Crisis
Members of the public have been asked to warn their vulnerable loved ones after it emerged that cold callers have preyed on those currently isolating due to coronavirus. The PSNI called for vigilance in the face of scammers who have set out to take advantage of local people during the pandemic.
19 June 2012
Recycle 60% Of Waste, Says Environment Minister
Environment Minister Alex Attwood today announced his plans to introduce a statutory 60% recycling target for Northern Irish households. The target goes beyond the 50% household waste recycling rate requirement set out by Europe and will have to be achieved by 2020.
15 September 2005
Bogus callers target elderly in north Belfast
Police in North Belfast are urging the public to be vigilant following an incident during which bogus callers claiming to represent the Water Service called at the home of an elderly man. Neighbours of the man on Seaview Drive, off the Shore Road, were able to disturb the callers and they left empty handed.
13 June 2005
Bogus callers target elderly north Belfast couple
Police in North Belfast have issued a warning to elderly people to be on the alert for bogus callers after a couple in their 90s was swindled out of a sum of money last week. Two men, one smartly dressed, approached the 95-year-old householder at his home at Castle Drive on Friday and offered to cut his hedge for £150.