29/09/2017

Former IRA Members Could Face Prosecution Over Bloody Sunday

Two former members of the Offiicial IRA could face prosecution for their role in the events of Bloody Sunday in L'Derry.

A file from the police has been forwarded to the Public Prosecution Service (PPS) on one former Official IRA member and another file is being prepared on another ex-member.

A decision on whether either will face prosecution is expected to be made within six months.

The PPS has written to the families informing them of the development.

Thirteen people were shot dead when the Army's Parachute Regiment opened fire on civil rights demonstrators in 1972.

A murder investigation was launched in 2012.

A PPS spokesperson said: "Over the course of last year, the PSNI has provided around 35 lever arch files of material, with further material anticipated. Our focus currently is completing our analysis of the police investigation files and on the identification of all significant legal issues and their resolution.

"We have consistently made it clear that the prosecution task in this case is considerable but we are making steady progress."

Ulster Unionist Justice Spokesperson Doug Beattie MC MLA said: "Bloody Sunday was one of the darkest days of Northern Ireland’s recent history and up until now there has been a single narrative around the events of that day which led to an acknowledgment by David Cameron, the then Prime Minister, where he said the actions of British soldiers were wrong.
News Image
"What seemed to get lost was the fact that in the six months leading up to Bloody Sunday the IRA murdered six soldiers and two RUC officers in Londonderry, and indeed on Bloody Sunday itself, another soldier died of injuries sustained in an attack in the city four months previously.

"This nails the myth that the Troubles somehow began with the events of that tragic day.

"It is worth noting that investigations by the PSNI Legacy Investigations Branch (LIB) have shown that not only was the IRA active on that day, but the actions of its members helped to create the situation that left 13 innocent people dead. Martin McGuinness, feted in death, was in life one of those who ignited a volatile situation.

"The Saville Report found that that shortly after the first two civilians were shot, members of the Official IRA fired a rifle at soldiers near where the march was taking place. Saville also found that Martin McGuinness had engaged in paramilitary activity during the day and that he was 'probably armed with a Thompson sub-machine gun'.

"The families deserve all the truth and at the moment Sinn Fein - the holders of the IRA archive and institutional memory - know the truth. It is time they stood up and explained exactly what the IRA’s real role was during the events of that day. It is time they acknowledged the actions of IRA members on that day were wrong, and as they call for British soldiers to be charged, so too they need to call for those IRA members to be charged as well."

(CD)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

28 November 2019
CCTV Shows Michael Kerr's Final Movements
Detectives have released CCTV footage of the final hours before 68 year-old Michael Kerr was murdered last week. The widower was discovered dead inside his home on Birch Drive, Bangor on Tuesday 19 November. Police are working to establish a motive for the attack and said they believe the answers to his death lie within the local community.
01 May 2008
IRA Escapes Blame On Quinn Killing
Despite widespread, cross-border backing of claims by the family of a young man brutally beaten to death last year that the IRA was to blame, the body that monitors paramilitary activity has today said that the republican terror group was not responsible.
06 May 2015
Man Arrested Over Gerard 'Jock' Davison Murder
Police investigating the murder of Gerard 'Jock' Davison have arrested a 42-year-old man. The former IRA Commander, 47, was shot several times in the Markets area of Belfast on Tuesday morning. The man has been detained by police. A property in north Belfast was searched as part of the overall investigation on Tuesday night.
08 April 2014
Man Arrested In Connection With Omagh Bombing
A man has been arrested in connection with the 1998 Omagh bombing. Police arrested the man in Newry area, and say he is being held and questioned in Antrim. Twenty-nine people were killed in the Real IRA attack of 15 August 1998. The bombing has been described as the single worst atrocity in over 30 years of violence.
11 January 2013
Omagh Bomb Men Seek To Overturn Ruling
Two men held responsible for the Omagh bombing in 1998 are seeking to have the ruling overturned by the European Court of Human Rights. Jailed Real IRA leader Michael McKevitt and Liam Campbell are to challenge the ruling, due reportedly to their lawyers’ inability to cross-examine an FBI spy whose evidence was central to the case against them.