11/10/2017

No Prosecution For Suspects Named By Supergrass Gary Haggarty

Thirteen people implicated by loyalist supergrass Gary Haggarty will not be prosecuted, the Public Prosecutions Service (PPS) has confirmed.

Director of the PPS Barry McGrory said there was insufficient corroborating evidence to support the allegations.

Haggarty was put behind bars earlier this year after pleading guilty to 200 terrorist-related charges, including five murders.

He could theoretically walk free as he has already served three years in custody on remand.

Mr McGrory said: "Full and careful consideration has been given to all of the evidence currently available in respect of all cases.

"I have now concluded that the evidence currently available is insufficient to provide a reasonable prospect of obtaining a conviction against 11 of the suspects reported by the PSNI and the two police officers reported by Office of the Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland.

"I have therefore taken a decision that a prosecution case against these individuals will not be taken forward."
News Image
Sinn Féin Policing spokesperson Linda Dillon said: "The scale of collusion in this case is appalling but it is only the latest in a line of high-profile cases which are beginning to expose the extent to which the police and British State forces colluded with loyalist death squads throughout the conflict.

"Gary Haggerty was a self-confessed senior member of the UVF involved in directing that organisation’s sectarian campaign. He has admitted involvement in a string of murders all the while acting as a Special Branch informer, alleging that his handlers not only protected him from arrest and prosecution, but also actively encouraged his activities.

"Therefore today's decision by the DPP is hugely disappointing for families of the victims who are rightly asking whether, after more than five years of investigations and admissions, is anyone involved in this case ever going to face prosecution?

"The suspicion is that the State is continuing to cover up the extent of its involvement in collusion."

(CD)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

07 October 2009
On-The-Spot Fines To Tackle Crime
Those committing low level crime and engaging in anti-social behaviour are to be hit with on-the-spot fines. The move is amongst a raft of radical new proposals unveiled today in Northern Ireland.
28 March 2012
Good Working Relationships Key To Success Of Supergrass Trials
Ulster Unionist Justice spokesperson, Basil McCrea, has said that for supergrass trials to work in Northern Ireland there must be a better working relationship between the PSNI and the Public Prosecution Service as well as adequate accountability measures.
27 June 2007
Taoiseach ‘disappointed’ over Finucane decision
Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern has described the decision not to charge any security force members over the murder of solicitor Pat Finucane as a “disappointing development.
29 September 2017
Former IRA Members Could Face Prosecution Over Bloody Sunday
Two former members of the Offiicial IRA could face prosecution for their role in the events of Bloody Sunday in L'Derry. A file from the police has been forwarded to the Public Prosecution Service (PPS) on one former Official IRA member and another file is being prepared on another ex-member.
25 January 2018
Man Released After Viable Device Found In North Belfast In 2015
A man arrested in relation to an under-car booby trap bomb has been released pending a report to the Public Prosecution Service (PPS). Police are continuing to investigate after a viable device was found in north Belfast in October 2015. The 36-year-old man was detained in Belfast on Tuesday, 23 January, under the Terrorism Act.
25 April 2016
Three Men Charged Following £300,000 Cannabis Seizure
Three men have been charged after police seized over £300,000 worth of herbal cannabis in Lurgan, Co Armagh. The drugs were found after several vehicles were searched on the Derrymacash Road on Friday, 22 April.
08 April 2016
Man Charged Over £10,000 Drugs Seizure
A man has been charged with a number drugs offences in L'Derry. Police seized £10,000 worth of suspected ecstasy and cocaine during a house search in the Waterside area on Thursday. The suspect is to appear before Londonderry Magistrates Court today, 08 April. All charges are to be reviewed by the Public Prosecution Service (PPS).
22 October 2015
Man Charged Over Suspected Cocaine Possession And Intent To Supply
A 42-year-old man has been charged with possession of a Class A controlled drug with intent to supply. He is expected to appear before Lisburn Magistrates Court today, 22 October. Police seized a significant amount of suspected cocaine following the search of a vehicle in the Lisburn area on Wednesday.
09 April 2015
Police Vehicles Attacked In L'Derry
Shots were fired at police vehicles in L'Derry on Wednesday night. The vehicles were attacked by a gang of youths in the Leafair Gardens area at approximately 9.50pm. Two of the vehicles were damaged during the attack, however there were no injuries.
12 November 2015
No Evidence Found Police Were Involved In Sectarian Attack
No evidence has been found to support concerns that police did not intervene to stop a sectarian attack in Coleraine in which one man died and a number of people were injured, the Police Ombudsman has concluded.
04 July 2012
Last McAreavey Witness Gives Evidence
The last of nearly 50 witnesses has given evidence to the Mauritius murder trial of a Northern Irish honeymooner. The final testimony ended the trial of two men accused of the murder of Michaela McAreavey, who was found strangled in her hotel room on the island in January 2011.
31 October 2008
'Leprechaun' Jibe Case Dropped
A Liverpool teenager who allegedly called her pregnant Northern Ireland-born neighbour a leprechaun, and swore at her, has had the case dropped. Andeliza Tucker was accused of insulting Belfast-born Helen Vince in June during a long-running feud.
02 December 2015
Two Men Arrested Over Peggy O'Hara Funeral Released
Two men arrested in connection with dissident republican activity in relation to a number of offences at the wake and funeral of Peggy O'Hara in July have been released. The men, aged 53 and 34, were detained in Strabane on Tuesday by detectives from the Serious Crime Branch.
22 September 2015
Man Charged Over Semtex And Firearms Find
A man has been charged following the discovery of explosives and firearms in west Belfast. Half-a-kilo of semtex, over 200 rounds of ammunition and two guns were found during a house raid on Ballymurphy Road on Friday. A 45-year-old man was arrested in Sunderland on Sunday and is due to appear in court today, Tuesday.
18 November 2013
560 Charged Over Disorder
A total of 560 people have been charged or reported to the Public Prosecution Service over public disorder connected to loyalist flag protests and 12 July parading. The figure has been revealed by the PSNI as officers release further images of people they are keen to speak to in connection with Operation Titan.