18/12/2003

'Stop attacking emergency services' says Minister

Health Minister, Angela Smith today launched a joint Northern Ireland Ambulance Service and Northern Ireland Fire Brigade public awareness campaign designed to put a stop to attacks on Fire and Ambulance crews.

The campaign is designed to promote the idea that violence towards Emergency Service staff is unacceptable.

There have been 153 attacks on ambulance personnel and vehicles so far in 2003. This is an increase on the total of 122 attacks in 2002.

The Fire Service, meanwhile, has recorded 315 attacks in 2003 against a total of 410 for 2002.

Commenting on the campaign, the Minister said: "I hope that this campaign will shock people into understanding the full implications that attacks on emergency staff can have.

"I want it to become a talking point for people. These attacks should be viewed unanimously as unacceptable and I want them to stop immediately."

The new campaign will include television adverts – which begin today - featuring fire and ambulance crews coming to each other’s aid following attacks on them. They will also reinforce the message that in an emergency, every second is vital, with time lost due to attacks on crews putting people already in danger further at risk.

The Department is supporting the two emergency services with this, the first of three phases, by making available £400,000 for the overall campaign.

Early in the new year an education programme for primary and secondary schools will be rolled out with further initiatives to follow.

(MB)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

12 March 2020
Benefit Payments Will Continue During Self-Isolation
Benefit claimants have been reassured that their payments will not be affected by self-isolation due to Covid-19. The Department for Communities clarified the situation via a statement on Wednesday. Anyone unable to attend an appointment at their Jobs and Benefits office or medical assessment centre is advised to let officials know immediately.
12 March 2020
Eastern Airways Saves Belfast-Southampton Route
Flights from Belfast City Airport to Southampton have been saved by Eastern Airways. The airline stepped in to fulfil the busy route after announcing on Monday that it was creating a six-times weekly Belfast to Teeside International Airport flight. The daily Southampton flights are now available for booking and will begin on Monday 23 March.
11 March 2020
Flybe Workers To Rally At Stormont
Flybe workers will today hold a rally at Stormont to demand government intervention to secure their jobs. A trade union has called on the Northern Ireland Executive to defend the long-term connectivity of Belfast, including the now under-threat roles at Belfast City Airport.
23 March 2020
Man Due In Court Over Co Down Burglary
Police have charged a 26 year-old man in connection with an aggravated burglary in Bangor, Co Down. A house in the Gray's Hill area was targeted on Saturday 11 January. The suspect is charged with aggravated burglary with intent to steal. He is due before Downpatrick Magistrates Court on Monday 23 March.
20 March 2020
Roselawn Crematorium To Close To Mourners
Roselawn Crematorium is to close to mourners and families from Monday 23 March. Cremations will be carried out however no family can be in attendance, Belfast City Council has confirmed. Burials will also go ahead, with mourners at the graveside and funeral directors urged to consider public health advice around social distancing.