11/05/2018

Independent Inquiry To Be Held Over Belfast Trust Patient Recall

An independent inquiry is to be held over the recall of more than 2,500 neurology patients by the Belfast Health and Social Care Trust.

Last week, the Trust announced the recall following a probe into the work of neurology consultant Dr Michael Watt.

The Department of Health said the inquiry panel will be chaired by Brett Lockhart QC and discussions are continuing with the Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management on identifying a panel member with suitable clinical leadership expertise..

In addition, the inquiry will review the process initiated by the Trust in December 2016 over concerns raised about the clinical practice of Dr Michael Watt, which resulted in the patient recall announced last week.

The panel will also assess whether any complaints or concerns relating to Dr Watt prior to December 2016 should have provided grounds for earlier intervention.

Department of Health Permanent Secretary, Richard Pengelly, said: "The focus since last week has rightly been on establishing a robust patient recall process. That remains the first priority.
News Image
"However, it is clear that a rigorous review is also required – given the seriousness of the situation and the impact on patients. The public needs to be assured that this issue has been properly and appropriately handled by the Trust, and that any lessons for the future are learned.

"I am indebted to Mr Lockhart for agreeing to lead this inquiry panel and undertake this important work."

SDLP Deputy Leader, Nichola Mallon MLA, welcomed the announcement.

"The decision by the Department of Health to establish an Independent Inquiry Panel to review the recall of neurology patients within the Belfast Trust is most welcome," she said.

"In particular, it is important that we will now have openness and transparency about what exactly happened within this area of our health service.

"Patients and their families, and the general public, will be relieved to see that the Department has stepped up. It is absolutely vital that this review establishes exactly how this was allowed to happen and what changes are required to prevent the possibility of this happening again."

(LM/MH)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

09 April 2019
Cost Of NI Locum Doctors Almost Trebles To £83m
The spiralling cost of paying for locum doctors in Northern Ireland has put the health system under serious financial pressure, according to a report by the Northern Ireland Audit Office. Total expenditure has almost trebled to £83 million over the last seven years.
08 April 2019
HPV Vaccine To Be Extended To Boys
Boys aged 12-13 in Northern Ireland will soon be offered a vaccine to help protect them against Human Papillomavirus (HPV) and other related cancers. It comes as the Department of Health makes two significant health protection announcements today, Monday 08 April.
02 April 2019
Diabetes Prevention Programme Rolled Out Across NI
A new programme aimed at tackling the increasing pressures of type 2 diabetes has been launched by the Public Health Agency (PHA).
29 March 2019
Active Belfast Grants Scheme To Tackle Health Inequalities
Organisations across Belfast are being encouraged to inspire people to live a healthier lifestyle with the opportunity of £25,000 council funding.
03 April 2019
PHA In Public Appeal To Vaccinate Against MMR
The Public Health Agency (PHA) is raising awareness of the Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccine through a new social media video. The campaign comes after a recent measles outbreak in Europe. The disease has continued to circulate due to lower levels of MMR vaccine uptake in children and young people in some countries.