11/07/2018

East Belfast Bonfire Set Alight Hours After Court Order

A large bonfire in east Belfast was set alight hours after a court ordered its height to be reduced over safety concerns.

On Tuesday, the High Court ruled the Department for Infrastructure must take steps to reduce the height of the Bloomfield Walkway bonfire to no more than three metres.

Belfast City Council said the judge made the order taking into account a number of factors including "elected representative concerns, community fear and apprehension, and significant risk to property and life".

However, as police moved in to secure the site to enable contractors to safely remove material, the bonfire was set alight prematurely in the early hours of Wednesday and missiles were thrown at police. Dozens of riots vans and officers have remained in the area overnight.
News Image
Assistant Chief Constable Alan Todd said: "Colleagues from Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service attended to protect a number of nearby properties. We also received reports of a number of vehicles having been set on fire in East Belfast.

"It is disappointing that some people decided to resort to violence as attempts were made to reduce significant threat to the life and property of local people, due to the size and location of this bonfire.

"Over recent months there has been a concerted effort by a wide range of agencies and community representatives to resolve this completely avoidable situation. I would like to thank those people for their efforts in trying to bring about a resolution to this matter .We all hoped that the bonfire builders would see sense. Regrettably this hasn't proved to be the case.

"Moving forward, PSNI will continue to liaise with partner agencies, local communities and political representatives to address concerns linked to bonfires. While PSNI is not the lead agency on bonfires and have limited legislative power in respect of bonfires or waste which has been illegally disposed at sites, we will continue to support other statutory bodies to carry out their roles if requested."

(LM)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

09 November 2018
Other News In Brief
Randox Creating 25 New Jobs At Antrim HQ Healthcare diagnostics firm Randox has announced 25 new IT jobs for Country Antrim. The digital roles will include software development, information security and web design and will be based at the company's new headquarters, the Randox Science Park, at the former Masserene Barracks.
20 July 2012
Lyttle Condemns Bonfire Burnings Of All National And Cultural Symbols
Alliance MLA Chris Lyttle has condemned the burning of all flags, electoral posters and sectarian signage on bonfires. The East Belfast MLA is calling for a robust Executive Shared Future strategy to be put in place to ensure no one in Northern Ireland suffers from ethnic, cultural or sectarian intimidation.
26 October 2018
Homes Evacuated In Antrim Road Security Alert
A number of homes have been evacuated after a suspicious device was discovered in north Belfast today, 26 October. Police are at the property on St James Mews off the Antrim Road, which has been closed up to Carlisle Circus as a result.
26 June 2015
Eleventh Night Bonfire 'Deliberately' Set Alight In Lisburn
A bonfire has been set alight in Lisburn in the early hours of Friday morning. The Eleventh Night bonfire at Old Warren is believed to have been lit at around 3am, according to the police. The cause of the fire is being treated as deliberate.
13 November 2018
Belfast City Centre Footfall Slumps By 60%
Footfall in Belfast city centre has slumped by 60% compared to October last year, against the backdrop of the impact of the Primark fire at the historic Bank Buildings. The Northern Ireland Civil Service announced a further £1.
13 November 2018
Arrest Over West Belfast Paramilitary Style Attack
A 48-year-old man has been arrested in connection with a paramilitary-style attack that was carried out in west Belfast in September. Detectives investigating the attack in the Turf Lodge area detained the man from Dungannon under the Terrorism Act on Tuesday 13 November.
23 October 2017
Number Of Cars Set On Fire In East Belfast
A number of vehicles have been set alight in east Belfast. Just after 4.15am on Sunday, 22 October, police received reports that a car on Florida Street had been set alight. They are investigating a link between the attacks which they are treating as racially-motivated hate crimes.
04 August 2017
DUP Challenges Council Decision Over Dangerous Bonfires
The DUP is to challenge a Belfast City Council decision on tackling dangerous bonfires. Earlier this week, the local authority backed a motion by Sinn Féin to allow council officers or contractors to remove bonfire materials from sites which threatened lives or property.
27 July 2017
Belfast City Council To Meet Over Contentious Bonfires
A special meeting of Belfast City Council to discuss the issue of contentious bonfires is set to take place on Wednesday, 02 August.
25 June 2015
Man Arrested After Bonfire Set Alight Weeks Early
A man has been arrested after an eleventh night bonfire was set alight in Belfast. Two fire appliances were used to put out the blaze at Wellwood Street in the Sandy Row area on Thursday morning. Chief Inspector Robert Murdie said: "Police are currently at the scene of an incident in Wellwood Street, in the Sandy Row area of south Belfast.
09 August 2013
PSNI Under Fire At West Belfast Bonfire
Eight PSNI officers have suffered injuries after trouble broke out at an 'anti-internment' bonfire in west Belfast last night. Eight people were arrested in the Divis Street area after police came under fire from crowds throwing paint bombs, bottles and masonry. Two officers were admitted to hospital to be treated for head injuries.
08 November 2018
Man Found With Head Injury In West Belfast
A man has been found with a head injury next to a car in west Belfast. Shortly before 1.25am in the morning of Thursday 08 November the victim was found next to what police described as a "damaged, older model, black-coloured Ford Fiesta" in the Clonavogie Gardens area of west Belfast.
11 July 2014
Executive Issues Bonfire Safety Warning
The Ni Executive and Northern Ireland Fire and rescue Service has announced an appeal to Eleventh Night revellers to "think safety first" when attending bonfires.
17 May 2016
Road In East Belfast Closed Overnight Following Fire
A road in east Belfast was closed overnight after bonfire material was set alight by youths. The emergency services attended the scene on the Beersbridge Road on Monday night, 16 May. One fire appliance was at the scene and extinguished the blaze. The road has now been reopened.
06 July 2011
Bonfire Call-outs Reduced As Advice Heeded
Emergency call-outs to traditional pre-Twelfth eleventh night bonfires have reduced by almost two thirds in the past three years. The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) believes this is because their safety message getting through. Chief Fire Officer Peter Craig (pictured) said: "I think it is down to education.