07/12/2018

Cliftonville Striker Jay Donnelly Excluded From Weekend Match

Irish Premiership footballer Jay Donnelly will not play for Cliftonville for the second week in a row after being convicted of distributing an indecent image of a child.

Cliftonville manager Barry Gray announced on Thursday that the 23-year-old won't be involved in the match against Glenavon on Saturday 08 December.

He was also not on the pitch at last week's game against Dungannon Swifts.

Donnelly admitted the charge last month and will be sentenced in January 2019.

A second count of taking or making an indecent image was withdrawn.

One day after his guilty plea, Cliftonville picked the striker for a Danske Bank Premiership game against Linfield at Windsor Park.

The Belfast Feminist Network (BFN) criticised the club for the move and said they would stage a protest if they proceeded with the decision.

The protest was later called off when Cliftonville announced that Donnelly would not play.

In a statement last week, Cliftonville said: "We are dealing with a very sensitive and delicate matter."

This week, Mr Gray added: "Nothing has changed. It is what it is. The club have issued a statement and it stands for now.
News Image
"I'm not aware of any other progress or differences than what it was. I'll hear from the board what happens next.

"At the moment we have a stance about what the situation is for now.

"There is an ongoing process in terms of how the club feels it needs to deal with it on and off the pitch."

He added: "The board will do what's best for Cliftonville but obviously it is not just as simple as what everybody makes it out to be.

"They have to think of the player, the club, the board, the team and the wider circle outside of that.

"There is lots to consider. I know it's quite complex and I'm talking from virtually outside it because it's not day-to-day with me and it's the board on behalf of Cliftonville who are dealing with it and make decisions that will be right for Cliftonville."

Mr Gray continued: "The circumstances are outside my control. You just concentrate on the players you have and if things change you deal with it.

"The team has had to deal with a lot of negative attachment. We are just trying to keep them focused to try and get results each week. That's the one constant that won't change for me and the team - the football and getting results.

"It's a very unique situation. You can't sit and feel sorry for yourself. We are just here to win football matches."



(JG)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

15 February 2019
SDLP Demand Inquiry Into PSNI Disclosure Error
The SDLP's Policing and Justice spokesperson has called for the Policing Board to conduct a full inquiry into the failings by the PSNI to disclose information to the watchdog relating to loyalist killings in 1992.
28 January 2019
PSNI Chief Constable George Hamilton Set To Retire
PSNI Chief Constable George Hamilton has announced his intentions to retire later this year. Mr Hamilton has served in the force for 34 years and informed the Northern Ireland Policing Board today, 28 January, that he will retire at the end of June. He has served in the role as Chief Constable for five years.
19 February 2019
SF President Under Fire For 'Offensive' PSNI Chief Constable Remarks
Sinn Fein president Mary Lou McDonald has came under severe criticism after she remarked that the PSNI Chief Constable George Hamilton, who will leave his position at the end of his tenure in June, could not be replaced from within the ranks of the force.
05 February 2019
Calls For Security Reassurance At Belfast International Airport
A Sinn Fein MLA has demanded "clarity and reassurance" following a violent brawl that broke out in Belfast International airport on Saturday 02 February. Declan Kearney's comments come days after passengers in the departure lounge were disrupted when a number of men became involved in a fight.
25 February 2003
Catholic home targeted in petrol bomb attack
A Catholic family's home in north Belfast has been attacked by petrol bombers overnight. The bombs were thrown at the Oldpark Road home shortly before 1am. While no one was injured in the incident a neighbouring house and parked motorcycle were slightly damaged.