20/03/2019

Two Held On Suspicion Of Manslaughter After Hotel Crush

Two men have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter by detectives investigating the deaths of three teenagers in a crush at the Greenvale Hotel in Cookstown.

The teens- 16-year-old Connor Currie, 17-year-old Morgan Barnard and 17-year-old Lauren Bullock- died during the incident which occurred when hundreds of young people tried to make their way into the venue for a St Patrick's Day disco.

The suspects, aged 52 and 40, remain in custody.

Officers are examining CCTV footage of the incident and have appealed for any mobile phone footage or photographs of the crush to be passed onto investigators. Anyone in possession of such material is asked not to submit it online, but to upload it to the Major Incident Public Portal.
News Image
After consulting with the Public Prosecution Service, Detective Chief Superintendent Raymond Murray said the PSNI is not concerned about the age of anyone trying to enter the licensed premises, but would urge any witnesses to come forward and help detectives determine what happened.

"We need to know what you saw so the heartbroken families of Connor, Lauren and Morgan know what happened to their children," he said.

The Education Authority has deployed a critical incident team to five schools in the area to support pupils who were involved in the crush. Chairperson Sharon O'Connor said: "On behalf of EA board members and staff I would like to extend our deepest sympathies to the families of the bereaved and injured, and to all the young people who witnessed the tragic events at the Greenvale Hotel on Sunday 17 March.

"The EA critical incident team currently has staff working in five schools and has provided support and advice to a further seven schools in the area. The EA Youth Service has opened its facilities at Ógras Youth Club, Coalisland, Dungannon Youth Resource Centre and Cookstown Youth Resource Centre in order for young people affected by the tragedy to engage with youth workers."



(JG/CM)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

16 April 2019
Fire Service Lowers 'People At Risk' Age To 50 And Older
The Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) has lowered the age group of those deemed most at risk from accidental house fires to people aged 50 and older. It follows the death of 19 people in the last three years, 17 of which were aged over 50. Nine of the victims were aged 50-59 and a further eight were 60 and above.
18 April 2019
Road Safety Warning Issued Ahead Of Easter Holidays
As the Easter holidays approach, police have issued a reminder to all road users and pedestrians to practice road safety measures while out and about. Sadly 18 people have already lost their lives on Northern Ireland's roads this year, double the number of people compared to the same period last year.
18 April 2019
Lurgan Security Alert Declared An 'Elaborate Hoax'
A security alert that caused families to be evacuated from their homes in Lurgan yesterday, 17 April, has been declared an elaborate hoax. A police operation took place on the Cornakinnegar Road after the discovery of a suspicious object. ATO examined the package and declared the incident an elaborate hoax.
15 April 2019
Powered Wheelchairs Now Available For Young Children In NI
Families in Northern Ireland can now access free powered wheelchairs for children with disabilities thanks to a new charity partnership. The Mae Murray Foundation has teamed up with the UK assistive technology charity Designability to provide Wizzybugs to disabled children under five.
06 July 2018
Two People Escape Injury After Pipe Bomb Incident In Armagh
Two people have escaped injury after a pipe bomb was thrown into their garden in Craigavon, Co Armagh. The incident happened in the Enniskeen area in the early hours of Thursday morning, 05 July. After hearing a loud bang, the occupants discovered the remnants of what is believed to be a pipe bomb in the back garden.