22/05/2019

Reward Offered In Search For Disappeared

An anonymous reward of $60,000 has been offered to help in the search for the three remaining bodies of the 'Disappeared'.

The donation, which is equivalent to almost £50,000, has been made in the hope of recovering remains of the three outstanding cases; Belfast man Joe Lynskey, Columba McVeigh from County Tyrone and undercover soldier Robert Niarac.

It is believed they were murdered and buried in secret graves by the IRA during the Troubles. They are the last three outstanding cases of the 16 Disappeared.

The pledge was issued through Crimestoppers and all those who give information will remain anonymous, according to the independent charity. The information will only be used for the recovery of the bodies and not for police investigation.
News Image
Fiona McCormack, Director of Operations at Crimestoppers, said: "People giving information can be safe in the knowledge that no one will ever know who they are- not even us. That is a promise we have kept since the charity began more than 30 years ago.

"The Commission is doing an excellent job and to date the remains of 13 of the 16 Disappeared have been recovered. Our reward is not about finding out what happened to these people. The families of those who have yet to be found deserve to be able to hold a long-overdue funeral for their relatives.

"The reward was put up by an anonymous donor and is $20,000 USD for the recovery of each body. It can only be claimed for information that goes directly to us."

Anyone with information can contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or complete an untraceable anonymous online form.

Details will then be passed onto The Commission for the Location of Victims' Remains.



(JG/CM)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

04 October 2017
Three Charged Following Searches In NI And England
Two men have been charged with money laundering and blackmail. They were arrested following searches in Northern Ireland, Sussex and Lancashire earlier this week. The suspects, aged 34 and 54, are to appear before Ennikillen Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, 04 October.
06 November 2019
NI Majority Supports New Law On Stalking
The majority of people in Northern Ireland would strongly support the introduction of stalking legislation, a public consultation has found. The Department of Justice welcomed the clear message from the public but said changes in legislation will be delayed until a Northern Ireland Assembly is formed.
04 November 2019
SF Won't Stand In Three Constituencies
Sinn Fein has announced it will step aside in three constituencies in next month's General Election, instead urging voters to support other pro-Remain candidates. President Mary Lou McDonald today announced they will not field Westminster candidates in East Belfast, South Belfast and North Down.
01 November 2019
BBC Three Scheme Launches For NI Production Firms
BBC Three is inviting independent production companies based in Northern Ireland to submit format ideas as part of a youth content development scheme with the promise of a factual entertainment series for the channel.
30 October 2019
Appeal Follows Spate Of Burglaries In Co Antrim
A link between three burglaries in the Co Antrim town of Ballycastle is being investigated, police have said. The spate of break-ins took place on Monday evening, 28 October, beginning in the Leyland Park area. Entry was gained to a house at around 6.35pm, while another house in the same park was ransacked at sometime between 3.30pm and 8.10pm.