30/05/2019

Raid Warrants On Belfast Journalists To Be Quashed

Warrants obtained by the PSNI to raid the homes and offices of two Belfast journalists are to be quashed, the High Court has ruled.

Senior judges held on Wednesday 29 May that authorisation for the searches of Trevor Birney and Barry McCaffrey's propertes had been inappropriate.

The two investigative journalists were involved in producing the film 'No Stone Unturned' which looked at the unsolved Loughinisland Massacre of 1994.

A further hearing will determine whether documents seized in the operation should be returned.

The outcome is perceived as a victory for Mr Birney and Mr McCaffrey in their challenge to the legality of warrants granted as part of an investigation into the alleged theft of confidential documents from the Northern Ireland Police Ombudsman's Office.

Following two days in court, Lord Chief Justice Morgan said he was "minded to quash" the search warrants.

Speaking after the decision, Mr McCaffrey said the case had been a "deliberate and determined" attack on press freedom and the media's ability to hold those in power to proper scrutiny.
News Image
"There were dark forces at the heart of this case and if we had lost it would have had huge ramifications for investigative journalism throughout Ireland and the UK."

Chair of the National Union of Journalists executive council, Gerry Carson, commented: "This is a wonderful outcome for journalists everywhere. Our thanks for the great support from NUJ members, Amnesty International, the Irish Congress of Trade Unions and many others groups and organisations who have been involved in this campaign."

Amnesty International UK also welcomed the High Court declaration. NI Programme Director Patrick Corrigan said it was a good news day for press freedom throughout the UK.

"This is a vindication of Trevor Birney and Barry McCaffrey's vital work in investigating the events of that horrific night in Loughinisland in 1994, and the actions of the police in allowing the killers to go free," Mr Corrigan commented.

"Almost 25 years after the massacre, it is not lost on anyone that the only people so far to face a court room in connection with the massacre are two journalists who bravely exposed the extent of police collusion with the murderers.

"Journalists must be free to investigate issues of public concern without fear of arrest and imprisonment."



(JG/CM)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

12 November 2019
Warning As Counterfeit Bank Notes Circulate
Police in west Belfast have issued a warning to local businesses amid reports of counterfeit banknotes circulating in the area. Numerous reports of fake £20 and £50 Scottish and Northern Irish notes have been made, prompting calls for vigilance among retailers and other local firms.
05 November 2019
PSNI Seek Help Tracing Missing Co Down Man
Police in Co Down are seeking help tracing the whereabouts of James Lewis. The 58 year-old known locally as Jim was last sighted at Holywood train halt on Friday 01 November. Jim previously resided in the Donaghadee area and police have advised that he now has a beard and longer hair in contrast to the picture shared.
01 November 2019
Police Urge Hughes Brothers To Come Forward
The Chief Investigating Officer looking into the deaths of 39 people in a trailer in Essex has urged Armagh brothers Ronan and Christopher Hughes to hand themselves in. Essex Police travelled to Belfast today to issue the direct appeal. It comes over a week since the mass fatality was discovered in a container in Grays last week.
13 November 2019
Suspect Due In Court Over £180k Drug Find
A man charged with a range of drug related offences following the seizure of £180,000 worth of controlled substances is due in court today, Wednesday 13 November. The suspect, aged 26, was charged after a vehicle containing suspected Class A drugs was seized on Friday 08 November.
08 November 2019
Young Girl Struck By Vehicle In Co Down
A young girl has suffered injuries after she was struck by a passing vehicle that failed to stop in Co Down. Police are appealing for witnesses to the collision on Market Street, Downpatrick at around 5.30pm on Thursday 07 November.